raised panel door techniques

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: raised panel door techniques

Post by JPG »

anmius wrote:And, if you don't want to purchase "space balls," you can make your own. Just draw out some beads of silicone caulk onto some waxed paper. When it is fully cured, just strip it off the waxed paper and cut it to the size you want with your utility knife. Make them ahead and store them into a parts jar and you will have what you need when you need it.
New England(Yankee) ingenuity at work! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

So what was the pre-space [ball] age solution? I'm guessing something like rat turds from the corner - they come in various sizes and are cheap. Seriously, though - this seems like something that would have a traditional solution. Not that that means a better solution, I'm simply curious. What do you find when you restore old doors? Or did they just deal with the rattle in the dry season?

Aren't many of the mitered angled frames only mitered on the front face for looks, with mortise and tenon joints?

Also, I found this just now:
http://tinyurl.com/nmf3t8z
That's a google books copy of an American Woodworker Feb 1996 article on "Mitered Sticking" - which ends up looking like the photo earlier of the door with the mitered trim added, only it isn't added trim.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

fitzhugh wrote: Aren't many of the mitered angled frames only mitered on the front face for looks, with mortise and tenon joints?

I believe that would be a form of the "mason's miter." Before assembling the frame, you can chamfer the inner edges of all pieces, then, after assembly you chisel in the "joint" at the intersection.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser