Headlight issues with these new plastic lens

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Headlight issues with these new plastic lens

Post by reible »

While I was looking at this subject I looked at replacement rather then getting the polishing kit and doing it myself. The kit is about $20 and that was much better then the prices I found online for non-factory replacement parts (low end $50, better $80, and that is per side.

If I were to have gone that route we are talking $160 and who knows how long their particular lens material would last. Our van was over $40K new so it was not on the cheap end of the market. I've been really happy with it and while it is getting up in years I have chosen to keep it because I'm not as impressed with the newer ones to spend that kind of money on a replacement.

Again I feel good about the investment I made this year, some repair work, a pair of new tires and the lens kit. I might even think about some body work on the rusting out areas. My kids think I'm crazy for spending the money but that is where I'm at for now. I'd like to get another 4 years out of it but who knows. It is a 2000 but we just went over the 120K mile mark so at this rate of 8000 miles per year that is 32K more miles putting the total to 152K in that time frame. Seems doable.

Anyway when I was doing my research I came across this:

http://www.carid.com/articles/brief-his ... in-us.html

For those of old enough it was a good read and would provide some incite for those who have just lived in the "modern" times.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'll add one small thing to that I couldn't find in that article.
In the late 80s, Chrysler used plastic housing sealed beams in their Dodge Dakota pickups. They were a crappy lens like the ones on today's cars. I have not seen them on any of the other older vehicles.
But, at least when the light burned out or the lens got cloudy, you could replace it with a nicer low priced glass one and your problems were gone.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So, how many 'new' cars have glass headlight 'covers'.

New means post 2010? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ddub

Post by ddub »

Jpg. I don't know of any since 2000?

Dusty your headlights are plastic.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So it has been a few years and I noticed that the lens were starting to look clouded and on my last trip I noticed the light output was being effected a little. So I found a newer product that I wanted to try.

Mind you the lens were no where as bad as they were when I first did this so while this seemed to be less effort perhaps it was more a state of the lens at this point in time.

Menard's had this Rust-oleum product called Wipe New. Sorry I forgot the price??? Anyway it has a sponge type double sided sanding pad to use first with water. You then dry the lens with provided microfiber towel. Making sure it dry before proceeding. A pair of gloves are also provide because the packet of nasty stuff if not good to get on your skin or the car finish. You also have to use it in fresh air, and even then it smells pretty strong.

Sorry I did not do a before but the after looks pretty good but it is still wet and tomorrow will be a better indicator. Now if it can just hold off raining for the next 24 hours it will be fully cured.
20181102_145704_resized.jpg
20181102_145704_resized.jpg (211.47 KiB) Viewed 11445 times
So got the oil and filter changed and fluids checked so I ready for winter. I've been changing oil twice a year but this year for the whole year I've only put on 6704 miles. Maybe could get by with just one change since I use the "good" stuff for both filter and oil. Well it just 19 years old so maybe next year will be its last for me, rust issues as always.

Ed
bill50cal
Gold Member

Post by bill50cal »

the trouble with very low miles driven is the combustion byproducts contaminating the oil.it can be very corrosive to bearings and other engine parts.it can also cause sludge build up. i would not touch a short hop driven car on a bet because of the issues from an engine never reaching operating temp for a long enough time unless there is excellent records on frequent oil changes. my advice is twice a year oil changes on low miles driven cars and NOT by mileage. remember oil is cheap an engine is not.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Any one ever tried tooth paste with baking soda? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHTXdlWw1w
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Actually newer cars have systems that allow them to run up to temperature very quickly, and in fact most of my driving is not short hops but more like outings where I put on plenty of miles to heat things up.

Besides that I have always used better oils and filters and I personally have never had a car with an oil related failure of any sorts. I always end up with the rust getting the better of the body. While I'm just over 147K miles and the van could very easily get a lot more miles the rust is already taking out the rockers and rear fender wells. I'd like to get 20 years out of it but I plan to start looking at other options this year and hope the van makes it till the 2020 models are out.

This is the oil and filter I use:
20181102_162505_resized.jpg
20181102_162505_resized.jpg (224.75 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
I know its not for everyone but an oil and filter and doing it myself costs no more then cheap oil at a places that changes oil.

If you ever do pull an engine apart that has used this oil and one that has used standard oil it will be quite apparent why I do what I do.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The kit on Amazon is $10.27, next time I'm in Menard's I'll check their price but I seem to recall it being about that amount.

https://www.amazon.com/Wipe-New-HDL6PCM ... ht+restore

Does anyone live in a state where headlights are inspected? It appears that is a thing now.

Ed
bill50cal
Gold Member

Post by bill50cal »

Ed
in your case than an annual oil change is in IMHO probably OK if as you stated when you run it it is for a long period and you are using top shelf oil. the ones i don't like is the to the store and back and church on sunday type of drivers as they never run long enough to hardly even get the heater working. i live in Fl. and stay in TN part of the year so i know what you say about rust. it is a shame that we have to scrap a perfectly good car because of rust. i would like to see the use of salt on the roads go away. if me and you were to do what the state does with salt we would be put under the jail for pollution.