Any Joint-Matic users here?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shortslvs
Gold Member

Post by shortslvs »

ryanbp01 wrote:As long as its not confused with a Veg-O-Matic or a "Sledge-O-Matic". Those, I know how to use. I had never heard of a Joint-O-Matic.

BPR
I have heard of "Bass-o-Matic" :D
Shopsmith Mark V 500 and 520, 2x Dust Collectors, 2x Jointer, 2x Belt sander (one on a stand), scroll saw and tomorrow a Power Planer... and not a single power coupler - how in the world does that happen?
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

letterk wrote:I you are willing to do a project, I'm willing to follow along. I have the bevel gauge, but I'm sure if you didn't you could probably devise something along the lines of the wooden pivot used in the tenon master or a couple of screws a piece of wood with a straight channel cut in it, a hinge and some jig knobs.

If I can free up at work later I'll do a very crude drawing.

Here is the crude, crude drawing. Did I say crude? I can't imagine it would be too hard to make a jig that I'd never pay $250 for a used one.

I just looked at how MLCS handled this and they do it by offering a tilting add-on table so that you tilt the base. Guess you could make your own and do the same with the joint-matic with a few pieces and 1/2 ply and jig handles. The downside is you would lose an inch of capacity, but that wouldn't likely make a difference. You would need to add a miter track to it.

Reible - Do you have any suggestion on how to make a hold-down fence since it is no longer available from Shopsmith? I haven't seen a picture of how it attaches to know if I can come up with an alternative.

[ATTACH]20131[/ATTACH]
Attachments
SS Tenon Master jig.jpg
SS Tenon Master jig.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Looks like an adjustable verison of this:
[ATTACH]20139[/ATTACH]
Attachments
45 degree bevel sled 1.jpg
45 degree bevel sled 1.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

anmius wrote:Looks like an adjustable verison of this:
[ATTACH]20139[/ATTACH]
Yep, that is pretty much it. Looking at my crude drawing if you didn't know what I was attempting to show - I could see some serious confusion there. Just need a way to adjust the angles up and down since the original jig was adjustable.

Thankfully, my Joint-matic came with the adjustable angle gauge.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

We currently have two threads on joint-matic going so I've been reading both and posted this link on the other one. If you have not gone to this link via the other thread please take a moment to look now from here:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2737

As you can see I already did a wooden version using a hinge design. I guess I was lax not posting the link here as well. You can also see other photos related to what the shopsmith one looks like. Might just answer some of your questions.

If I have the time I go back and see if I can find more pictures/details that might be relevant.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here is another batch of picture from one of my old posts.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2743

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

letterk wrote: Reible - Do you have any suggestion on how to make a hold-down fence since it is no longer available from Shopsmith? I haven't seen a picture of how it attaches to know if I can come up with an alternative.

[ATTACH]20131[/ATTACH]
I think you can order parts and make your own out of a pair of shopsmith feather boards and a shopsmith miter slot/channel. Don't have part numbers for you but they might turn up sometime.

Ed