Turning Pens

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

navycop wrote:I was just noticed they had "pen light" flashlights. Are the blanks the same as for regular pins? Just turned different?
I did a couple of Penn State mini flashlights (the key-ring type) which were neat. These were more along the lines of a bottle-stopper size blank.
Chris
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

affyx wrote:Check out the huge chisels being used in this video!

Turning-Pens-on-the-Lathe-From-Start-to-Finish

This site worked better for me, it was knot choppy.

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/page/2/
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Is there a way to etch (spelling) pens for graduations and anniversaries? I think it would be nice to put "Class of 20__" or "Jack and Jill 25 yr anniversary" on the commemerative pen. It would make it more personal. I know there are Branding iron type things. Can u change the lettering or is it just ordered with one label? I was thinking along the lines of the stuff they use on plagues. They rub some ink on it then wipe it off. The ink gets down in the etching.
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

navycop wrote:Is there a way to etch (spelling) pens for graduations and anniversaries? I think it would be nice to put "Class of 20__" or "Jack and Jill 25 yr anniversary" on the commemerative pen. It would make it more personal. I know there are Branding iron type things. Can u change the lettering or is it just ordered with one label? I was thinking along the lines of the stuff they use on plagues. They rub some ink on it then wipe it off. The ink gets down in the etching.
Spell it 'engraving'! Some gift stores have the ability to engrave pens. Perhaps one would be agreeable to do that for a reasonable cost.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

The only way I found to engrave a pen was at the local trophy shop. I cant afford the engraving tool.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcwVUf9pUGc
and
http://www.customengraving.com/
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I was looking for something along the lines as the electric inital branding iron. Maybe swap out the heads with different logos. I might have to invent something like that and patent it.
Mike
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

beeg wrote:This site worked better for me, it was knot choppy.

My hatchet is kind of "choppy"... :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

If you desire a really fine turning skew/gouge check out the Crown Skew/Gouge at woodcraft. While visiting their store in Richmond VA a couple of weeks ago a store clerk, who does a lot of turning and ahas offered good tips in the past, shared how great it is. Being the tool nut I am I had to have one. In a word WOW that is some tool. It makes short work of turning pens. In fact I have turned six in under two hours today. Check this link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200362 ... gouge.aspx

Now it's time to clean up the shop.

Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I read in a thread that regular chisel work for pen turning. I am mostly interested in pen turning right now. If I bought pen chisel, would they work if I decided to do bowls?
Mike
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

navycop wrote:I read in a thread that regular chisel work for pen turning. I am mostly interested in pen turning right now. If I bought pen chisel, would they work if I decided to do bowls?
No. What you call "Pen chisels" are spindle turning gouges and do not work well for bowl turning. What you will need for bowls is called (of all things :rolleyes: ) a bowl gouge. You can use a bowl gouge for pen turning, however. You might want to get a good bowl gouge and be set for both instances.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies