Pen Forum

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

Mountain Mahogony: an exotic hardwood made in the USA! Check this out:

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/mountain_mahogany.htm
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
spc
Bronze Member

Google

Post by spc »

Google is your pest friend. Any info information that you need you will be able to find on google. Just keep on searching and use different keywords and you will be sure to find want you are looking for.

cupolas and weathervanes
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

I have a 520 and 3 older machines that I have picked up over the last 3 months. Have not done anything with the 3 newer additions as yet, but we all need projects.
I have been leaning and looking at purchase of a Mini that I could take with me on the road in my 5th wheel trailer. Haven't purchased one yet but mayd soon. I am hitting the road for the month of August. No definate destination in mind, jut time to travel a bit.
I think it would be good theropy to have a small lathe with me so I could make a few small items. Realize I would have to leave any site cleaner than when I arrived but feels this is doable also.
Who knows maybe a pen made in Washington, or Idaho would have a nicer feel than one made in California........
I also like all my SS equipment, and also own quite a bit of Powermatic equipment. I like it all, and use it all.....Hard to believe someone would be unhappy with SS for whatever reason......
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

baysidebob wrote:I have a 520 and 3 older machines that I have picked up over the last 3 months. Have not done anything with the 3 newer additions as yet, but we all need projects.
I have been leaning and looking at purchase of a Mini that I could take with me on the road in my 5th wheel trailer. Haven't purchased one yet but mayd soon. I am hitting the road for the month of August. No definate destination in mind, jut time to travel a bit.
I think it would be good theropy to have a small lathe with me so I could make a few small items. Realize I would have to leave any site cleaner than when I arrived but feels this is doable also.
Who knows maybe a pen made in Washington, or Idaho would have a nicer feel than one made in California........
I also like all my SS equipment, and also own quite a bit of Powermatic equipment. I like it all, and use it all.....Hard to believe someone would be unhappy with SS for whatever reason......

Get a set of used way tubes, cut them to 25 5/8 / 26 3/8 each and convert one of those 3 to a mini(do not cut bench tubes). Ya could replace the original full length tubes when you return. Or cut one you have and replace with full length tubes later.

Only 'issue' may be the bench tubes if an older goldie or greenie, but the longer cut way tube piece will work with shimming only if needed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

If you cut the tubes to 25 5/8" and 26 3/8", I don't think you'll have sufficient space for a carriage and therefore can't use it as a lathe for turning pens. About a month ago, I trimmed 16" off of each tube on a Greenie and ended up with a lathe capacity of 18-19" and it still can perform all of the functions of a full-size Shopsmith. In hindsight, I should have only cut 14 or 15" off of the tubes so as to have more flexibility as a sanding station.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Art is right I just made a mini and if you use those dimensions you cannot put the carriage on the machine it is only good for a power station or sanding station. You would have to go to the longer station.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Somebody mentioned Coffee?

Post by nuhobby »

Here's one of the 'gimmick' materials from Penn State Industries, the coffee-bean blank :D . Actually it smelled great while turning! Unfortunately my "go-to" finish, Shellawax, totally obscured the natural smell for a long time. Just lately my wife says it's starting to smell like coffee again.
[ATTACH]13821[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Coffee Bean Pen.jpg
Coffee Bean Pen.jpg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK! How much lathe bed length is required to turn pens? Apparently 9" is not enough!(34-25):confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Chris, the Coffee Bean pen looks great. I've seen that blank in their catalog for some time. How bad was it to turn?
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

tom_k/mo wrote:Chris, the Coffee Bean pen looks great. I've seen that blank in their catalog for some time. How bad was it to turn?
Thanks! It's been a few months back, so I'm just going by memory now. I know I had a couple of the coffee-beans chip-out during the turning. So I super-glued some of the dark dust into those voids. I think my overall impression was that making one of these coffee-pens was enough for me. (As opposed to a nice hardwood pen, which I'll do again and again.)
Chris