My first bowl...

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A cheap shot? Yep!

Something to get upset over? No!

Admonishment deserved? Uh huh!

Question I have is WHO is so damn sure of the age of that hunk of wood?:D

BTW Is the business actually 'run' by Mennonites? AIUI it primarily 'serves' the local Mennonite community.

Not that it really matters!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
myoung44708
Gold Member

Post by myoung44708 »

fjimp wrote:I do not wish to seem negative or angry however as a Mennonite myself feel a bit as though your impression may be painting either the wrong people or an entire religious group as uneducated. Most of the Mennonites I know are better educated and informed than any other single group of people. Again I have no desire to insult you yet would prefer you use a bit of care in whom or how you represent others. Jim

Oh...damn...

I was not intending to insult or cast ill on ANY religion or belief, rather to point out an inconsistancy.

Sorry.

Now I feel bad...
Martin

1983 MARK V - 500
1960...ish MARK VII with a 510...ish table
myoung44708
Gold Member

Post by myoung44708 »

JPG40504 wrote:A cheap shot? Yep!

Something to get upset over? No!

Admonishment deserved? Uh huh!

Question I have is WHO is so damn sure of the age of that hunk of wood?:D

BTW Is the business actually 'run' by Mennonites? AIUI it primarily 'serves' the local Mennonite community.

Not that it really matters!:)

Hartville Hardware is owned and operated by two brothers who are Mennonite, along with Hartville Kitchen and Hartville Flea Market.

The "Hardware" is 285,000 square feet of...everything you can think of.
Martin

1983 MARK V - 500
1960...ish MARK VII with a 510...ish table
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

myoung44708 wrote:Hartville Hardware is owned and operated by two brothers who are Mennonite, along with Hartville Kitchen and Hartville Flea Market.

The "Hardware" is 285,000 square feet of...everything you can think of.
Martin,

Thank you for clarifying that the Hartville owners clearly are doing many things right and must be of at least average intelligence. I wonder how many of those participating in this forum can claim such a high level of accomplishment? Certainly I would never be able to you. Thank you for your clarification and I apologize for making you feel bad. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Now that the apologies are 'past', what about the alleged age of that wood? Who really knows?

Unless the 'clerk' was one of the owners or himself a Mennonite he would have neither understanding of yer comment nor any reason to react to it.

If he be still damp betw...behind the ears he would not react to anything not directly concerned with 'clerking'(ringing it up and handling money and maybe bagging it).

Yes I am generalizing here lest anyone having a teenager get riled over me casting a broad net over them folks with damp ears. If'n der shoe fits. . . . If not disregard it.

Nothing 'personal' implied nor intended. Ever!(unless in jest):D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
camero68
Silver Member

Post by camero68 »

A friend said wow and went on to ask if it was a bangle. Please take it as a compliment. Gorgeous piece of art. I like its rich and vibrant color.
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

myoung44708 wrote:Opinions please...[ATTACH]17427[/ATTACH]

Martin,

Very nice, beautiful color and looks substantial enough to bear daily use without being clunky.

My first bowl is still on the lathe, all I need to do is hollow it out.

Cheers,
Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...