New Thread, Old Subject - USPS

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Well, here's a strike against FedEx (and one in favor of shipping via USPS) - I ordered a big cache of stuff from SS and figured they'd take a while like they have in the past to actually ship the package out...I wasn't given a USPS option when I placed the order or I would have had it sent to my PO Box, so instead I just chose ground shipping and they sent it via FedEx. Turns out they were rather punctual in getting the order out to me and it's scheduled for delivery 11/23...only problem is I'll be on vacation through 11/30...I went to the FedEx website and they have an option to have the package held at the FedEx location for pick-up instead of being delivered but I was unsuccessful in arranging this via the website, so I had to call customer service. They told me (in extremely broken english of course) this can't be arranged while the package is in transit but rather I have to wait until the first delivery attempt has been made. I told her I'd be on vacation and wasn't sure I'd be able or remember to do this and she said "oh well"...they will try 3 times to deliver it and then back to the shipper it goes. So now I have to remember to call them on or after 11/23 or my stuff gets returned to SS...wow, such quality customer service! It's beyond me why this can't be arranged now.

I guess next time I need to phone my order into SS and see if I can get them to ship USPS instead - so many retailers rarely have USPS as a shipping option. I have my PO Box for this very reason - safe perpetual hold on my mail until I return to pick stuff up, as well as the bonus of my wife not seeing the big box of toys get delivered to the house ;-)
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

I'll have to watch TV commercials. I sure thought that it was FedEx who advertises the "enroute redirect" option.
MarkFive510
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

BigSky wrote:I'll have to watch TV commercials. I sure thought that it was FedEx who advertises the "enroute redirect" option.
My guess is if they do offer that, it's for express service and not ground service. Really lame customer service.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Another strike against FEDEX

Post by swampgator »

Ordered bandsaw blades from Shopsmith last Monday. Shipped by ground. Arrived in Pensacola on Tuesday morning. Delivered today, Thursday.

Ordered toys from Amazon on Monday. Shipped standard shipping using USPS. Arrived yesterday in better condition than FedEx package from Shopsmith.

At least, I didn't have a flat screen delivered so the FedEx driver could just toss it toward the door. :D
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I mailed a broken bandsaw blade back to SS on 03 Dec, Linda called 06 Dec and said it broke at the weld and they will send a new out. Received the new one on 10 Dec. I think that was great service by both parties.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

beeg wrote:I mailed a broken bandsaw blade back to SS on 03 Dec, Linda called 06 Dec and said it broke at the weld and they will send a new out. Received the new one on 10 Dec. I think that was great service by both parties.

Don't you love when things work out... :) :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

I had ordered a PowerPro couple weeks ago. Received a phone call that it would be delivered to my resident last friday. The message I received came from my home answering machine. I looked up the phone number for local FedEx ground and called them. They could not give me a specific time for delivery and as I had a couple other appointments that same day I asked them to hold my delivery and I would pick it up on friday. Everything went just fine, I drove to their warehouse and they loaded it into the back of my Expedition, no problems at all. And everyone I spoke with had good english. I have always had good luck with USPS, FedEx, and UPS maybe I am just lucky along that line.....
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

UPS has surprised me greatly this week. I ordered some add on pieces for my Sirius radio. My problem began 2 1/2 years ago when we had the gall to relocate from Virginia to Colorado. Six separate attempts failed to get the address changed. Even the phone clerk who took my order hand entered the correct shipping address. Of course the shipper was smarter than their clerk and reverted the address to old VA location. I discover the error and called the shipper. In fact I placed four calls. Finally got the change made and demanded they contact UPS. They claim to have done so yet UPS still delivered to the wrong address and refused the requests of the person who received the shipment to pick it up and return it to the shipper. The woman who received it called UPS two days in a row. No luck at all. Both she and I called the shipper and raised a bit of Ned. Two days later the shipper convinced UPS to pick up the item. I confess this is a rare experience but one point really tickled me. The original shipper's rep asked the woman in Virginia who received the item incorrectly, why she didn't just hand it to me in Colorado. Any question regarding where the clerk might be located? Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

fjimp wrote:... I confess this is a rare experience but one point really tickled me. The original shipper's rep asked the woman in Virginia who received the item incorrectly, why she didn't just hand it to me in Colorado. Any question regarding where the clerk might be located? Jim
Jim,that is funny. Just a short jog, right? LOL
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

For those of you with a P. O. Box that would like to have UPS and FEDEX deliver to your P. O. Box USPS has a service for that. You use the Post Office Street Address with your P. O. Box number. Of course the Post Office charges a small yearly fee for this service but it is an option.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw