Rpm

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dps1890
Silver Member

Speed

Post by dps1890 »

Do You All Think That Everything Runs The Same, You Have Two Different Hookups For Add Ons They Run At Differant Rpms. One Is The Same As The Saw Arbor The Other Is Like Two To One Or So. I Got A Chart But It Doesn't Give Me The Rpms For Add On Arbor. I Do Hope That Ss Will Come Out With Something That Will Help. Also We Retirees Is The Ones That Build The Things Of Today. I Also Think That Ss Could Come Up With Someone Better Then Nick To Do The Videos. Him Knows His Woodworking But He Makes It Very Hard To Watch Also He Could Be More Organized And Ready To Do His Shows.

I Guess I Have Used Up My Dime, Later
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Personally I don't see what all the Hoopla is about. I usually dial my SS in with the labels at the top of the dial. However if I am working on something and want to be specific I look at the chart and believe me it is easier to remember one letter then an RPM. As first a Navy Storekeeper working with 13 digit stock numbers and then a postman I know how easy it is to transpose a number. 970 rpm's becomes 790 rpm's all to easily. And if your "friends" think its Mickey Mouse show them the results of your work.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

My last comment on this subject: Poor Mickey blamed for everything.

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dps1890 wrote:Do You All Think That Everything Runs The Same, You Have Two Different Hookups For Add Ons They Run At Differant Rpms. One Is The Same As The Saw Arbor The Other Is Like Two To One Or So. I Got A Chart But It Doesn't Give Me The Rpms For Add On Arbor. I Do Hope That Ss Will Come Out With Something That Will Help. Also We Retirees Is The Ones That Build The Things Of Today. I Also Think That Ss Could Come Up With Someone Better Then Nick To Do The Videos. Him Knows His Woodworking But He Makes It Very Hard To Watch Also He Could Be More Organized And Ready To Do His Shows.

I Guess I Have Used Up My Dime, Later
Not that it is up for a vote, but my vote is to stay with Nick. Not only do I enjoy his version of woodworking, but he is very interested in SS. He uses them in his other work, (like making airplanes and writing books) he knows them inside and out, he sticks up for their benefits and denounces their detractors. He does all of these things because he, like the rest of us, are SS fans, not because he gets a paycheck from them. It is because he is so proficient with them that he does get that paycheck from them.

Have you ever seen that guy that does the woodworking TV show who does not use power tools? He only uses hand tools, many of which are antique! I like him, but talk about unorganized!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I'll vote to stick with Nick too. BUT you have to remember that these videos seem to be shot "LIVE". Meaning NO EDITING, NO RETAKES and such.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dps1890
Silver Member

Post by dps1890 »

Tim And All Of You Out There, I Didn't What To Start A War About Nick . I Would Never Take Anything Away From Nick On His Woodworking Knowledge Or How Interested In The Ss. It Is Just A Personal Thing I Guess I Just Have A Hard Time Watching Him. Sorry Nick.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Have you ever seen that guy that does the woodworking TV show who does not use power tools? He only uses hand tools, many of which are antique! I like him, but talk about unorganized![/QUOTE]

That would be Roy Underhill. His show is filmed from beginning to end non-stop. No do overs. I had the opportunity to meet him once. He is very much different in person than on TV. Seems to be very well educated. His real job is writing service manuals for IBM or something like that. Go figure.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Speaking as one of the disorganized braindead:

I spent a pleasant afternoon with Roy many years ago in a field in Williamsburg working to restore an eighteenth-century apple press. There were no power cords within a quarter-mile and we were attacking a particularly difficult woodworking problem. He had a tree trunk that he was trying to turn into a massive threaded screw. First, we had to cut the trunk to a uniform diameter (with no lathe!) and them we had to layout the threads (with no precision calipers!) and then we had to cut them (with no die!). I'm sure that to the passerbys it looked as if Roy, his assistants, and I were terribly disorganized. After all, we were attempting something that none of us had done before and there were necessarily a good deal of false starts and experimentation. But we got the job done.

Had our object that afternoon been to make a documentary about creating an apple press with hand tools, there are two ways the filmaker might have gone about it. He might have filmed us, spent many hours reviewing what he had shot to find the "thread," editted out the false starts and failed experiments, then put the good stuff together in a narrative that made us look like the smartest, sexiest, most organized apple-press makers in history. Or, if he were pressed for time and money, he might have done a light editting, cutting away the most boring parts, and put out a docmentary that made us look like what we were -- reasonably experienced craftsmen confronted with a difficult problem.

I've been a part of many documentaries on both woodworking and airplanes and I've learned that the closer the completed film is to real life, the messier and less organized it seems. I've also learned that there is a direct connection between a clean, polished, organized narrative and the amount of money you have to spend on cleaning, polishing, and organizing. Add to those two axioms these facts: (1) There are fewer endeavors more messy the woodworking, (2) fewer environments more difficult to keep organized as a woodworking shop, and (3) fewer filmmakers with as little money and resources to work with as Drew and me. Americans are a very sophisticated audio/video audience and I have few illusions that what Drew and I are doing looks and sounds decidely rough to most viewers. I don't look for a phone call from the Academy Awards anytime soon.

However -- and this particular "however" makes all the difference -- 130,000 viewers (last count) are learning new woodworking skills and sales are up. In short, we are getting the job done. You can teach woodworking without a lot of money, just as you can make an apple press without power tools.

As far as the letters on the dial go, the official braindead company policy is live with it. Not only does the Mark V have three PTOs running at two different speeds, the speed at which a given Mark V runs at any one letter setting depends on the wear-and-tear on the V-belt, the compression of the spring on the motor drive shaft (which changes with use and age), the adjustment of the stop under the speed dial, where the speed dial engages the speed-changing mechanism, and several other factors that are beyond our control on older machines. Set all the Marks in the Academy at a specific letter setting and measure the RPM, and you'll find a range of RPMs varying as much as 100 RPM depending on the letter setting. This slight inconsistency makes absolutely no difference in the quality of the cuts you get from the machine. Judging from this thread, however, if we did publish numbers instead of letters on the dial we would have no ends of complaints from folks with tachometers.

If you want to change belts on pulleys, we could publish reasonably accurate numerical speeds. If you enjoy the convenience of the speed dial, live with the letters. At some time in the future, we may change the markings on the dial. I myself am pushing for Celtic Runes if, for no other reason, it will prove to those of you with healthy, living brains that no matter what the markings on the speed dial, the machine gets the job done.

And, for the record, I like Mickey Mouse. (Although I've always liked Annette Funicello even better...)

With all good wishes,
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Well written, Nick!:D Thanks!!! Now we guys who just turn the speed dial about 4 1/4 turns (and listen to the sound of the blade) in order to saw - can live in peace from criticisms from our more exacting friends.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

cincinnati wrote:Have you ever seen that guy that does the woodworking TV show who does not use power tools? He only uses hand tools, many of which are antique! I like him, but talk about unorganized!
I once knew a guy that graduated from Harvard and also was an Oxford Scholar. He and his family lived in the basement of the house he never finished. He chose to make cedar shakes, by hand for a living. He was happy!! And so was his family!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA