Shopsmith Saw Arbor Set Screw (222458)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Recently read a tip in Home Shop Machinist maggy suggesting you could drill a small cross hole in a set screw and insert a piece of weed trimmer plastic cable if you "must" have a vibration resistant screw and the stores are all closed and the dog ate your Loctite blue thread locker. :p :p

Never tried it ............yet!
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Just wondering and sort of within the scope...

If you had a set screw that was working loose, could you use a small piece of Teflon pipe thread tape? Would if give enough resistance and take up enough space to keep the set screw in place? Not any residue to contend with.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

benush26 wrote:Just wondering and sort of within the scope...

If you had a set screw that was working loose, could you use a small piece of Teflon pipe thread tape? Would if give enough resistance and take up enough space to keep the set screw in place? Not any residue to contend with.
One of the purposes(result?) of teflon tape is to reduce thread friction.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

benush26 wrote:Just wondering and sort of within the scope...

It might but I would use something like finger nail polish as a temporary fix before I would try teflon tape.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Saw Arbor Set Screw (222458)

Post by dusty »

This post is about more than just 222458 but it is about set screws.

I continue to gather information related to "set screws" and to further verify that already posted. This is my latest contribution to the list of set screws used by Shopsmith. There are changes and additions.

[ATTACH]25470[/ATTACH]

The 5/16"-18x3/8" set screws (222460) are provided in the Help Kit and they do have the nylon patch.

I have found no 5/16"-18-1/4" set screws identified as having the nylon patch. I read this to mean that Shopsmith does not believe the patch is necessary for use in the various arbors.

There are still a few that I have not verified. These are so indicated on this chart.
Attachments
Shopsmith Setscrews Version 9.doc
(103 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Nice compilation Dusty.

I had a problem with the font size here I couldn't see it all it ran off the page.
I reduced the font size and margins... deleted a couple blank rows so it all fit on one page
I know they were grouped nicely but I liked one page better, then made a pdf.
[ATTACH]25468[/ATTACH]
My wife is an Office manager and is a wiz at MS Office but she's sleeping so this was my quick fix.
I put it her in case anyone else has problem seeing it all.
Attachments
Shopsmith Setscrews Version 8 for the Forum.pdf
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 906 times
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

lightnin wrote:Nice compilation Dusty.

I had a problem with the font size here I couldn't see it all it ran off the page.
I reduced the font size and margins... deleted a couple blank rows so it all fit on one page
I know they were grouped nicely but I liked one page better, then made a pdf.
[ATTACH]25468[/ATTACH]
My wife is an Office manager and is a wiz at MS Office but she's sleeping so this was my quick fix.
I put it her in case anyone else has problem seeing it all.

Convert to PDF. I didn't know you could do that without special software. Aah but you can't. Well, you can if you have all of the latest and greatest but I don't. I have Word 2003 and the MS conversion requires Word 2007 or Office 2007. Furthermore, I don't need to do this often enough to get that software.

The free downloads that are available I don't use much anymore. I believe that I have been burned big time by some of those free downloads.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

dusty wrote:Convert to PDF. I didn't know you could do that without special software. Aah but you can't. Well, you can if you have all of the latest and greatest but I don't. I have Word 2003 and the MS conversion requires Word 2007 or Office 2007. Furthermore, I don't need to do this often enough to get that software.
I have Adobe Acrobat 9 pro extended. I used it to convert all our contracts to pdf
I don't use it much any more. There are some really cheap converters out there but
they din't have all the features that I needed like linking the table of contents to
specific places within, watermarking , password protecting etc.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

The free PDF995 software is safe to download and use, and will do a great job of making .pdf versions of documents.
Regards,
Doug

Shopsmith Mark V ->Mark 7, bandsaw, jointer, planer, belt sander
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

videobear wrote:The free PDF995 software is safe to download and use, and will do a great job of making .pdf versions of documents.
+1 on PDF995 -- I used it for many years to create PDF's, and still do sometimes. I did eventually shell out the $9.95 to make the ads go away.

On the recommendation of our IT manager, I'm now using Nitro reader, and I like it even better.