Non Woodworking Question

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Non Woodworking Question

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:
reible wrote:In the old days I had written a macro for excel to generate bar codes using look up tables. I had created a data base for our prototype hardware and we could scan things in and then be able to locate them for inventory purposes and all that other cleaver stuff.

We had purchased a "pen reader" from HP that would output to a serial port. A box containing an 8051 was used to gather and transfer the data. This was in the days before you could buy this stuff off the shelf. That would be a real piece of history now, wonder what ever happened to it? Bud box with a serial port and some barcodes (control of the box was done with barcode) on the front, power switch, and a small display........... we did all sorts of skunkworks back then.

Anyway I no longer have access to excel and doubt I could remember how to do half of what needs to be done to get one of these macros working. I would think that one who is active in this sort of thing could whip up something in a few hours or maybe even less. I would assume in could be done with some of the "free" open office software as well.

Is this more like what you want to do?

Ed
Rjent is extremely close(he used basic as I intend).

Tried his esc code sequences(including the escE), but the brother printer continues to not react(prints with symbol for esc).

Since basic does not know about usb ports, I am creating a file and printing it with wordpad. I do not know if it is wordpad or the printer not being 'transparent' with the 'data'.

It just dawned on me that I was not suppressing crlf. Will try that next.
Does your brother have a LaserJet emulation mode? Escape sequences are the way these printers get configured, but not all printers are standard. Some of the emulation modes help with that. I need to pull out some of my old code in the POS systems if I can find it .... :rolleyes:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:
reible wrote:In the old days I had written a macro for excel to generate bar codes using look up tables. I had created a data base for our prototype hardware and we could scan things in and then be able to locate them for inventory purposes and all that other cleaver stuff.

We had purchased a "pen reader" from HP that would output to a serial port. A box containing an 8051 was used to gather and transfer the data. This was in the days before you could buy this stuff off the shelf. That would be a real piece of history now, wonder what ever happened to it? Bud box with a serial port and some barcodes (control of the box was done with barcode) on the front, power switch, and a small display........... we did all sorts of skunkworks back then.

Anyway I no longer have access to excel and doubt I could remember how to do half of what needs to be done to get one of these macros working. I would think that one who is active in this sort of thing could whip up something in a few hours or maybe even less. I would assume in could be done with some of the "free" open office software as well.

Is this more like what you want to do?

Ed
Rjent is extremely close(he used basic as I intend).

Tried his esc code sequences(including the escE), but the brother printer continues to not react(prints with symbol for esc).

Since basic does not know about usb ports, I am creating a file and printing it with wordpad. I do not know if it is wordpad or the printer not being 'transparent' with the 'data'.

It just dawned on me that I was not suppressing crlf. Will try that next.
Does your brother have a LaserJet emulation mode? Escape sequences are the way these printers get configured, but not all printers are standard. Some of the emulation modes help with that. I need to pull out some of my old code in the POS systems if I can find it .... :rolleyes:

Seems I will have to 'rediscover' the brother manual :mad: DISC :mad: and determine if it is at all possible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote: Since basic does not know about usb ports,

BTW, try rerouting the LPT1 output to the USB by using :

NET USE LPT1 \\MYSERVER\HPLASERJ

Use a dos command window to issue the command. The MYSERVER\HPLASERJ is the NAME of the USB printer on your system .... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:

Use a dos command window to issue the command. The MYSERVER\HPLASERJ is the NAME of the USB printer on your system .... :D
How do I determine "my' usb printer name?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:
rjent wrote:

How do I determine "my' usb printer name?
Depending on which OS, you can find the printers in either control panel or START/Printers and faxes. See if you can find them
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I get 'System error 66 has occurred' = The network resource type is not correct. When I try NET USE LPT1 \\MYSERVER\Brother MFC=J825DW

ALSO WITHOUT THE \\MYSERVER\
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

JPG wrote:I am intending to create bar code like stuff.:
Why not use a bar code font? Several years ago, I wrote a Access front end to print labels for computer backup tapes that were used in a tape robot. I simply put whatever text I wanted on the label twice, the top one in a "3 of 9" barcode font, the other in a human readable font, printed on a color laser (there was also color coding on the label to attempt to match our mainframe tape labels). Never had a problem with the robot not reading the labels.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roy_okc wrote:
JPG wrote:I am intending to create bar code like stuff.:
Why not use a bar code font? Several years ago, I wrote a Access front end to print labels for computer backup tapes that were used in a tape robot. I simply put whatever text I wanted on the label twice, the top one in a "3 of 9" barcode font, the other in a human readable font, printed on a color laser (there was also color coding on the label to attempt to match our mainframe tape labels). Never had a problem with the robot not reading the labels.
Keyboard driven is a stopper!
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 10#p191810
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:I get 'System error 66 has occurred' = The network resource type is not correct. When I try NET USE LPT1 \\MYSERVER\Brother MFC=J825DW

What OS?
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:I get 'System error 66 has occurred' = The network resource type is not correct. When I try NET USE LPT1 \\MYSERVER\Brother MFC=J825DW

What OS?
W7 Home Premium
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝