The New Shop!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

paulmcohen wrote:My SCMS does dado cuts using its normal blade, not optimal but possible. I used a RAS in High School but they always scared me doing anything but a crosscut.
Paul
I have heard these comments many many times, "I used a RAS in High School but they always scared me..." and i frankly don't know why.

On a RAS I can see the blade, I can see my hands, I can what I'm cutting there are no surprizes. Unlike a table saw where you can't always see the blade, you can't always see the cut and often times through inattentiveness can put your hand in harms way.

I agree Ripping on a RAS is probably more scarey but again if your using a splitter, blade guard and proper procedures feed direction and such there really isn't a problem. I will admit I never rip on my RAS since I have my SS but I did before. To me the two machines complement each other. One is super for certain things and the other is super for others. If I could only afford one tool and that not being a Shopsmith I know I would buy a Radial Arm Saw. It can saw, drill, rout, shape, plane, mould, dado, and sand.

I think since Alec already has one, and he probably isn't going to be able to sell it for a whole lot it might be smarter to mount it on wheels also and use it in his shop.
Ed
easterngray
Platinum Member

Ras

Post by easterngray »

Well - OK I'm keeping it! :D The compromise is that I won't build the big benches on either side. Thanks for talking me out of a potential case of "sellers regret". Cheers, Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

easterngray wrote:Well - OK I'm keeping it! :D The compromise is that I won't build the big benches on either side. Thanks for talking me out of a potential case of "sellers regret". Cheers, Alec
Happy to be of assistance.:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

easterngray,

Have you seen the long bench setup in Norm's new shop configuration. He has incorporated both a RAS and a SCM.

http://www.newyankee.com/tour_view?view=swcorner_small
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Alec
Consider a fold down bench. Or do what I do. I park my SS so that my SS tables act like a side bench for my RAS. That way if I'm in a hurry I can make a quick cut or two without moving anything. Very handy when you need a foot cut off something or the neighbor shows up with a hunk of wood in his hands saying "could you .....?"
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I agree Ripping on a RAS is probably more scarey but again if your using a splitter, blade guard and proper procedures feed direction and such there really isn't a problem. I will admit I never rip on my RAS since I have my SS but I did before. To me the two machines complement each other. One is super for certain things and the other is super for others. If I could only afford one tool and that not being a Shopsmith I know I would buy a Radial Arm Saw. It can saw, drill, rout, shape, plane, mould, dado, and sand.

I love it for crosscutting, its the ripping that scared me. We didn't have a table saw so we did everything on the RAS and I saw many piece of wood hit the wall like a rocket. The saw we had did not have kickback paws.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
burkhome
Gold Member

Post by burkhome »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Alec
You may want to reconsider your decision. I have a RAS and grumble at it every time I have to work around it's size and how it intrudes into my work space. But when I need to knock off 6 inches from a 16 foot board I smile.

RAS are excellent for two things. Crosscutting long boards and cutting dado's across long boards.

In fact unless the board length is under 36 inches I usually use my RAS to make any cross cuts.

What I did and I think you can too, is to position the RAS so that if you do have a long board you can let it extend out the door of the shop while you make the cut. I put my RAS on wheels so I can roll it around and more than once I have actually had to roll it out on the drive way to cut down some really loooooooong boards.

I also have a compound mitre saw and yes everyone claims that it can substitute for a RAS ina lot less space. But in fact that is not a fact. Many many cuts I want to make can only be done on my RAS easily.

I know the money looks good but you may regret selling the RAS so really think about it.
Ed
I agree with Ed. I wouldn't be without the RAS after I found one that stays in adjustment. My dado blade resides there most of the time. For dados for shelving in casework it is indispensable. I made the stand 8 foot long with drawers below for storage. In my last shop, I connected the table to my mitre saw for a total of 16 feet of cut off space.
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin
gomezy3k
Bronze Member

Very Nice

Post by gomezy3k »

Man I am jealous. I finally got moved into a house that has a garage so looking forward to finally being able to use my ShopSmith to its fullest potential. I bought it back in the late 70's and have never been able to use it much due to living in apartments and places that there was no room to set it up.

Your set up looks awesome, congrats.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

gomezy3k:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new home. I hope you post some pictures when you get all set up. You will enjoy the time you spend here.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
mistystarz
Gold Member

Post by mistystarz »

wonderful shop!! I love the sideing and the window boxes!!