Beginner - Hobby

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Beginner - Hobby

Post by wa2crk »

Cap
In your list the only one that be eliminated for now is the lathe turning supplies that you listed first. All the others ( the bottom three )
I would consider to be necessary.
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

wa2crk wrote:Cap
In your list the only one that be eliminated for now is the lathe turning supplies that you listed first. All the others ( the bottom three )
I would consider to be necessary.
Ok thanks. That would be around 350$. I guess I can slowly add over time. The jointer itself is 489 which is included. I've watched some videos on turning bowls, that looks pretty cool. I might get that eventually.
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5333855401.html

Is this the 500 model? Table seems smaller but has everything for 250. No jointer like the other.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Yes that is a model 500. The table is smaller but it looks to be the proper length. A jointer is a good tool but since I have been buying saw blades that give a glass smooth finish I don't use the jointer much.
If you want to do lathe work buy some used tools first and learn how to sharpen them. Don't do experimental grinding on expensive tools
Bill V
You may want to go the SS website and look at the history of the different Mk5 models. I think that from that site you can also get a feel for what was included when the machines were sold new. When you look at a machine ask to see everything that the seller is including in the sale. If things are missing adjust your offer accordingly.
Last edited by wa2crk on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
ERLover wrote:I wouldn't know where to start on fixing the greenie.
All is here videos, pics JPG, they are simple, check out the Maintenance site
Fixing a Greenie is not much more complicated the a 10ER. The drive is the same a s the 10ER speed changer. The speed control dial is the only real difference and it is pretty simple.
Similar design principles, yes. "The same", no way. Walnuts and coconuts. ;)
OK, same was the wrong word but a Reevs drive is a Reevs drive. They all work on the same principle just not all constructed the same.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

wa2crk wrote:Yes that is a model 500. The table is smaller but it looks to be the proper length. A jointer is a good tool but since I have been buying saw blades that give a glass smooth finish I don't use the jointer much.
If you want to do lathe work buy some used tools first and learn how to sharpen them. Don't do experimental grinding on expensive tools
Bill V
True, but for education purposes, a jointer is also used to flatten one face of a board that may be cupped or twisted or rough sawn. The board can then be run through a planer to flatten the other face. If you intend to buy only straight, surfaced boards, then you can probably get by without a jointer.
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Bruce wrote:
wa2crk wrote:Yes that is a model 500. The table is smaller but it looks to be the proper length. A jointer is a good tool but since I have been buying saw blades that give a glass smooth finish I don't use the jointer much.
Bill V
True, but for education purposes, a jointer is also used to flatten one face of a board that may be cupped or twisted or rough sawn. The board can then be run through a planer to flatten the other face. If you intend to buy only straight, surfaced boards, then you can probably get by without a jointer.

Found this locally for a jointer.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5282931676.html
I'll check the history out, definitely been researching.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

Is the 500 table size that much of a difference?
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Bill V
You may want to go the SS website and look at the history of the different Mk5 models. I think that from that site you can also get a feel for what was included when the machines were sold new. When you look at a machine ask to see everything that the seller is including in the sale. If things are missing adjust your offer accordingly.
Thanks wa2crk. Good idea with used lathe tools.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Bruce wrote:
Bill V

Yes Yes Yes.

"If you intend to buy only straight, surfaced boards" where the heck would that be. :confused: Those boards pretty much don't exist. That is why you need a jointer, planer and a table saw. I mostly use rough sawn stock and those tools are essential. The other essential tool is a band saw.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

jsburger wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Bill V

Yes Yes Yes.

"If you intend to buy only straight, surfaced boards" where the heck would that be. :confused: Those boards pretty much don't exist. That is why you need a jointer, planer and a table saw. I mostly use rough sawn stock and those tools are essential. The other essential tool is a band saw.
Where are you getting rough sawn?
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin