Wannigan/Cooler Build

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Wannigan/Cooler Build

Post by algale »

Feet, previously attached with thickened epoxiy, got a sealer coat of clear epoxy. The feet are made of the same oak as the banding, with the 45 degree bevels cut on the band saw.
4F6FB733-D5C1-479E-94C2-9EF60FAD9942.jpeg
4F6FB733-D5C1-479E-94C2-9EF60FAD9942.jpeg (256.37 KiB) Viewed 21259 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Cooler painted. I taped off the trim and can't decide whether to leave it "natural" or paint it white like the rest of the cooler. The pair of blocks below the banding are slotted for webbing handles and will also be where the lid is tied down. There's another pair on the other side.

The "NYETI" sticker is not on yet. Just laying it in place to get an idea of size/look.
IMG_5904.JPG
IMG_5904.JPG (264.86 KiB) Viewed 21212 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

That is coming out really nice Al. I vote for leaving the banding natural.
Paul
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I second the motion to leave the banding natural. Looks great! :cool:
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

The mistakes are harder to see from this side. The worst is that while the epoxy was setting up, one of the blocks somehow got slightly cocked. :mad:

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

masonsailor2 wrote:That is coming out really nice Al. I vote for leaving the banding natural.
Paul
I am with you Paul. The wood will go nicely with the wood of the boat. Very nice looking, Al.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

"NYETI" name tag epoxied on. I like it!
IMG_715ABC4DE719-1.jpeg
IMG_715ABC4DE719-1.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 21123 times
IMG_537C35394D22-1.jpeg
IMG_537C35394D22-1.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 21141 times

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It came out great, Al! The NYETI label really put it over the top, appearance-wise, and also garnered a good laugh from my wife. :)

It reminds me of a funny brand-name parody, from back in the 1980’s if memory serves. Remember when Jordache (pronounced Jordash) designer jeans were hugely popular? Well, another company started marketing plus-size jeans under the brand name Lardache. And a court ruled that that did not constitute trademark infringement.
:rolleyes: :D
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:It came out great, Al! The NYETI label really put it over the top, appearance-wise, and also garnered a good laugh from my wife. :)

It reminds me of a funny brand-name parody, from back in the 1980’s if memory serves. Remember when Jordache (pronounced Jordash) designer jeans were hugely popular? Well, another company started marketing plus-size jeans under the brand name Lardache. And a court ruled that that did not constitute trademark infringement.
:rolleyes: :D
Thanks, Dennis! :D That story gave me a good laugh! :D I remember Jordache Jeans but not the other, funnier brand.

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Pre-chilling in the freezer for an ice/beverage test. :)
IMG_E70725A06AEA-1.jpeg
IMG_E70725A06AEA-1.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 21057 times