yet another storage idea

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oldiron
Gold Member

Re: yet another storage idea

Post by oldiron »

Don,

I'm trying to see which one you're referring to. Is it possible the unit was built and the shopsmith was rolled over it rather than trying to move the storage unit?

Mike
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

Old Iron

Its this one.

Don G
Attachments
Scan0003.pdf
(859.67 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

Okay. It appears the cabinet was built and the headstock is removed from the Mark V. Roll the base of the machine over to the cabinet. The picture shows the 2 top "Horizontal" cross boards are installed once the bench tubes are lowered over the cabinet. Then reinstall the headstock.

Mike
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've built a couple versions of that cabinet. Changing needs will do that. On my last go around I decided I did not want the "ears" as they limited where I could move the shopsmith, like I could not roll it out in the driveway. So I cut them off.

If you want them on you will have to lift the shopsmith over them, yes really.

If you have not put it together yet you have the option of making the unit a bit smaller, cut off the ears and make another ear piece that mounts on the ends but can be installed after the cabinet is under the shopsmith. This is handy in that you can then also remove them and roll the two pieces (shopsmith and cabinet) different places if you put wheels on the cabinet.

For me the only good part of attaching the cabinet to the shopsmith was the added weight, and to be honest it wasn't worth it in the end.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

Thanks guys!!

I had already come to the conclusion that the SS had to either be raised or the headstock would need to be removed and replaced. I have not completed it yet so I am going to cut the ears off and make removable end plates or put casters on the unit if in doing so it will clear the SS. if it will not go under the SS I have accomplished not much.

What pisses me off is that the guy that wrote the article makes no mention of the fact that there is a problem with getting it under there. I know I should have considered that but senility took over. If I was 15 years younger it would have been no problem.

Don G
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

The other thing I find troublesome about that plan, and maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, is that the depth of the cabinet, 16", is wide enough that you can't lower the main table all the way. Is that assumption correct, those of you who have built one? How low can the table go (how much of the saw blade is still exposed) before the main table tubes run into the top of the cabinet?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Under Shopsmith Storage.png
Under Shopsmith Storage.png (88.2 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
This was my take on Under The Tubes Storage

If I needed to move the Mark V and did not want the storage shelves to move with it, I just unbolted the unit an let it go to the floor.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

Here is the link to my Under Shopsmith Storage Cabinet. It works with my 520, the table goes all the way down without issue, the hanging ears are bolted to the cabinet, so I can remove them with 4 bolts and take the whole cabinet off and put it back on w/o any lifting or moving of the shopsmith. Over the last year or so I have had it, I have yet to run into any issues with size or impeding function. The only thing I am not a fan of is the "junk" middle cabinet door. I need to just remove the hinges and put in drawers... but that's a whole different post.

It uses a single 4'x8'x3/4" sheet of baltic birch plywood, door hinges, and 4 bolts (plus dividers/shelves as desired). The whole plan for it, including cuts is in the PDF on the first post as well. Made pretty much entirely with the shopsmith (even used the horizontal boring function).

**Note: this was one of my first postings on this site, I don't think Dusty and JPG liked my initial post. Don't worry about that, I think they might recognize me now.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begin ... 16336.html
My Cabinet
My Cabinet
Full Cab pict.jpg (481.53 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
-Beave
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Beave2012 wrote:Here is the link to my Under Shopsmith Storage Cabinet. It works with my 520, the table goes all the way down without issue, the hanging ears are bolted to the cabinet, so I can remove them with 4 bolts and take the whole cabinet off and put it back on w/o any lifting or moving of the shopsmith. Over the last year or so I have had it, I have yet to run into any issues with size or impeding function. The only thing I am not a fan of is the "junk" middle cabinet door. I need to just remove the hinges and put in drawers... but that's a whole different post.

It uses a single 4'x8'x3/4" sheet of baltic birch plywood, door hinges, and 4 bolts (plus dividers/shelves as desired). The whole plan for it, including cuts is in the PDF on the first post as well. Made pretty much entirely with the shopsmith (even used the horizontal boring function).

**Note: this was one of my first postings on this site, I don't think Dusty and JPG liked my initial post. Don't worry about that, I think they might recognize me now.

Full Cab pict.jpg
I am sorry that I gave you that impression. I just reread that thread and I see absolutely nothing wrong with your post. There was some battering back and forth (JPG and I) but that sort of thing happens here all the time (probably should not). I just look through the pictures that you posted. All I can say is "Excellent Job on both the cabinet and the post).

Again, Sorry.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

dusty wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:Here is the link to my Under Shopsmith Storage Cabinet. It works with my 520, the table goes all the way down without issue, the hanging ears are bolted to the cabinet, so I can remove them with 4 bolts and take the whole cabinet off and put it back on w/o any lifting or moving of the shopsmith. Over the last year or so I have had it, I have yet to run into any issues with size or impeding function. The only thing I am not a fan of is the "junk" middle cabinet door. I need to just remove the hinges and put in drawers... but that's a whole different post.

Full Cab pict.jpg
I am sorry that I gave you that impression. I just reread that thread and I see absolutely nothing wrong with your post. There was some battering back and forth (JPG and I) but that sort of thing happens here all the time (probably should not). I just look through the pictures that you posted. All I can say is "Excellent Job on both the cabinet and the post).

Again, Sorry.
No need to apologize, I did post an external link, it was just fun to look back.
-Beave