Lift assist

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Howdy,

The problem I was having with the assist was that the tube on the side next to the air shock (back side) did not seat properly when clamped down. The gap between the tube header and the seat was between a 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch. I could sit on the tube and it would seat properly.

The problem seems to be that the lift assist bracket puts most of the pressure on the back tube. If the air shock had been mounted in between the tubes and braced across both tubes, there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

Although I reset the guide tubes, loosened the assist bolts, rotated tubes, etc, I still did not overcome the warp affect of the assist. I'll try again later, but right now, I want to finish a project that doesn't require the vertical position. The project is a new assembly table and cuts need to be precise.

Thanks for the comments and my humble apologies for hijacking the thread.

Best,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

friscomike wrote:...
Thanks for the comments and my humble apologies for hijacking the thread.

Best,
mike
I do knot see your contributions to this thread as a hyjack in any way shape or form. :confused:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:I do knot see your contributions to this thread as a hyjack in any way shape or form. :confused:
I agree with Tim!

FWIW The position of the tube welds can be observed by looking into the tie bar end while illuminating it with a flashlight. Raising it slightly makes seeing in the end easier.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:What effect does the weld orientation have? Are the tubes not 'round'?
I don't think I am going to mess with my lift assist to check this out but I did go back and view the Sawdust Session that discusses the installation of the lift assist. If I had watched this before I installed the lift assist I probably would have been better off.

I do now understand the comments about the weld. The weld is not the issue but rather any bow, in the way tubes, that the welding process might have caused. If the tubes are bowed, they need to be repositioned so as to be bowed in the same direction. The way tubes need to be as close to parallel as possible.

Now I have to go read the installation instructions to see if this was mentioned there. That is another problem I often have]Sawdust Sessions[/URL].
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:...Thank you, Nick. Even after leaving us here on our own, you haven't left us on our own. We miss the Sawdust Sessions.
Hear, hear!!!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

The weather here finally warmed up enough to get back into the shop and get my new lift-assist installed. I, too, got the re-designed model. The kit included instructions to loosen the tubes and ensure they were fully seated before installing the kit. The upper mount in my kit had a bracket that spanned both tubes instead of only attaching to the back tube as pictured in the instructions. After assembly, I raised and lowered it several times marveling at the ease of it. I locked down the way tubes and slid the carriage and headstock back and forth. Both moved easily. I'll update this thread after I've used it for a length of time. At this point I highly recommend this product.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR