Router or thickness planer... which should I get?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I put a "wanted" ad on Craig's List Monday and have gotten 2 emails so far. I talked to one of the guys that emailed me and he has a mini-storage unit full of tools he hasn't touched in a long while. Most of his stuff is top of the line - a Delta Unisaw he hasn't even plugged in, a few higher-end router tables with Incra fences, etc. Most of it is for production work. But he did say he had a portable Delta planer he'd sell for $150 and a few routers and a lot of other smaller tools. I'm going to try to meet up with him sometime this weekend and see what all he has that I might could pick up.

I also finally found a guy with a portable Woodmizer sawmill. He doesn't do any "lumber for labor" trade. He charges $235 to saw 1,000 board feet for hardwoods and requires 1,000 board feet at a minimum. Is that reasonable? It seemed reasonable to me. Only problem, I only have about 250 board feet ready to be cut. (My father-in-law has a section of a Oak tree trunk right now that's about 2.5' in diameter and about 7' long by my rough eyeball guestimation.) I have no idea when another tree might become available. But, at least I have a source now for turning these trees I have access to into lumber. If we get a big ice storm this weekend like they are projecting, there might be more downed trees coming my way.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:I put a "wanted" ad on Craig's List Monday and have gotten 2 emails so far. I talked to one of the guys that emailed me and he has a mini-storage unit full of tools he hasn't touched in a long while. Most of his stuff is top of the line - a Delta Unisaw he hasn't even plugged in, a few higher-end router tables with Incra fences, etc. Most of it is for production work. But he did say he had a portable Delta planer he'd sell for $150 and a few routers and a lot of other smaller tools. I'm going to try to meet up with him sometime this weekend and see what all he has that I might could pick up.

I also finally found a guy with a portable Woodmizer sawmill. He doesn't do any "lumber for labor" trade. He charges $235 to saw 1,000 board feet for hardwoods and requires 1,000 board feet at a minimum. Is that reasonable? It seemed reasonable to me. Only problem, I only have about 250 board feet ready to be cut. (My father-in-law has a section of a Oak tree trunk right now that's about 2.5' in diameter and about 7' long by my rough eyeball guestimation.) I have no idea when another tree might become available. But, at least I have a source now for turning these trees I have access to into lumber. If we get a big ice storm this weekend like they are projecting, there might be more downed trees coming my way.
'Bout time opportunity knocks on your door!! Good luck.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Cool Heath!
Some scores to be found on craigslist. I just got a call about a greenie for $175. I will drive and check it out.
I think you have to look at the log and see if it is worth the $235 minimum charge to have it converted to usable lumber.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

mark-b wrote:Cool Heath!
Some scores to be found on craigslist. I just got a call about a greenie for $175. I will drive and check it out.
I think you have to look at the log and see if it is worth the $235 minimum charge to have it converted to usable lumber.
It's a really nice straight log and I think would make good lumber. I'm going to try to get it on some rails to get it up off the ground and just let it hang out there and hope for the best until I get enough trees to make the 1,000 board feet minimum.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Okay ya have a 1000 BD Ft minimum, but is it at your place or his for $235.00?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

He comes to my place (or in this case, my father-in-law's place) with his Woodmizer portable bandsaw mill, and cuts it for $235. What happens with it after that is up to me.
Heath
Central Louisiana
elderbob
Bronze Member

Post by elderbob »

You might want to take a look at some old hands on articles. I recall one that had a log milling jig that attached to the shopsmith bandsaw to allow you to do smaller logs. I made one early on and it worked OK, not great. Make sure your blade is sharp and don't rush and you can get some small usable pieces. Don't forget, if you decide to try this method, logs are heavy.
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Heath,
Ask him what the charge is for a blade when he hits a nail. I bought several blades at $25 each when I had some logs lumbered. Have no idea how those nails got into those logs!
Dick
A Veteran-whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve-Is Someone Who, at One Point in Their Life, Signed a Blank Check Made Payable To "The United States of America", For An Amount of 'Up To and Including My Life'
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

dickg1 wrote:Heath,
Ask him what the charge is for a blade when he hits a nail. I bought several blades at $25 each when I had some logs lumbered. Have no idea how those nails got into those logs!
Dick
I didn't ask him, but according to the guy that referred me to him, it's $20.
Heath
Central Louisiana
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

heathicus wrote:I didn't ask him, but according to the guy that referred me to him, it's $20.

That sounds about right. They cost around $22 to $25 for the standard blade if I recall right. Back in the 1980s I was paying about $13 for my big mill. I cut a few nails in half but ruined very few blades. Usually they just cut the nail and kept sawing. I know blade charges are common practice but I never did charge anyone for a blade. I ruined so few that when I hit a nail the blade was usually getting dull anyway and I just chucked it and put on a new one. I don't think I ever hit a nail with a brand new blade. Why make the customer pay for a new blade when the one I ruined was already maybe half worn out. I just considered it part of the cost and risk of doing business. If I have a wreck hauling my new little mill to a guys logs should I expect him to buy me a new truck? As I said they were $13 and most places wanted more than that to sharpen one. I was buying from a custom shop in Indy and I would just walk in with my specs and they pulled it off of a huge roll and butt welded them while I waited unless I thought to call it in ahead.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill