Shopsmith Saw Arbor Set Screw (222458)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:
If a longer set screw is used, does this increase the propensity for the set screw to work loose?
No.
There is a very definite reason for using the exact particular set screw SS furnishes for that particular function. If one parameter of the thing is "off" (length) that suggests a possibility of other discrepancies being present. This could be very dangerous.

I received a detailed description of the operation of the arbor and set screw in a thread involving PowerPro "vibration" and Band Saw operation. Sorry, don't recaLL the SS person's name (Tom?) or thread title, but I guess I could look it up is needed.
These set screws on the SS are NOT ALL THE SAME.

Oh, yes, and on the saw arbor at least, taper DOES matter, along with set screw configuration, imho.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
dusty
Platinum Member

SetScrews used by Shopsmith

Post by dusty »

I am glad that you brought this subject back to the surface.

I just discovered a new solution to the missing/loose setscrew issue. It is simple. Just maintain a supply of setscrews by ordering this.

I knew that the spare setscrews I have (before my last order) all came from Shopsmith even though I have some cone heads and cup heads not included in the current Help Kit (515325). The price has gone up but the hardware pack is still available. Help Kit Hardware Pack (515714) - contains 57 assorted set screws and shims - $28.65.

If anyone orders this and then finds a use for the shims, please let me know. I still have the shims.

PS This might not be such a good deal after all. Not if the parts count of 57 includes the 18 shims (that I have never used).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

prmindartmouth wrote:...The setscrew does not back out immediately due to friction and the resisting friction force is equal to the coefficient of friction for the steel screw on the steel arbor multiplied by the normal force. Since...
And be sure to factor in the fact that the steel of the screw is NOT (repeat NOT) the same as the steel of the arbor (assuming the proper screw, per SS only, is used).
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:...The free downloads that are available I don't use much anymore. I believe that I have been burned big time by some of those free downloads.
Imho the free downloads that are "Lite", "Basic" or "Standard" are simply teases to get you roped in. Then you either like the product and want more, or the limits are so severe that you can't get anything useful done with it and you get so ticked off you just gotta upgrade to see what can be done but it turns out to be a piece of carp so you try to cancel it but they "AOL" you, making it so hard to find a way to get rid of it you wind up keeping it but never using it 'cause it reminds you of how you got suckered and ...

(whew)

But there are some good ones out there, usually offering Full featured trial versions (with unlock codes) so you can see the real thing. In other words, honest.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

prmindartmouth wrote:Visualize an idealized imaginary setscrew tightened vertically downwards in the arbor.
A setscrew works by pressing its' tip in compression inward against the shaft. This compressive force (call it "C") is resisted by being shared in upward compression along the spiral bottom surface of the tread in the arbor.
The more tread we have from choosing a longer setscrew, the lower the compressive (normal) force per unit area.
The setscrew does not back out immediately due to friction and the resisting friction force is equal to the coefficient of friction for the steel screw on the steel arbor multiplied by the normal force. Since the normal force is less, the friction force holding the set screw is less, but we have more area, so the total friction force remains the same (equal to "C"). So a longer set screw is not more likely to back out.
In the real world, vibration tries to convert static friction to kinetic. :confused: :confused: Maybe jpg could convert this rambling stream of thought to something coherent. I have an appointment and just ran out of time! :D :D
What 'rambling'?

I would not attempt to improve upon it.

It is correct, concise, logical, good progression, well thought out.

That said, in another thread I suggested increasing the coefficient of friction.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... stcount=79

DE is a very fine abrasive(from the ancient past).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:...I just discovered a new solution to the missing/loose setscrew issue. It is simple. Just maintain a supply of setscrews by ordering this....PS This might not be such a good deal after all. Not if the parts count of 57 includes the 18 shims (that I have never used).
On the other hand, an old theory maintains that merely possessing a 'spare' or replacement part is enough to guarantee never having to use it.
(if you can find it)