Beginner - Hobby

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Beginner - Hobby

Post by Bruce »

Usually from a hardwoods dealer. You won't find it at Home Depot or any of the big box stores. Or you can buy it online and have it shipped to you. There may be a local cabinet maker that can sell you some. You just have to look around.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

rjent wrote: Where are you getting rough sawn?
Check your local Craigslist for "rough sawn lumber" and "rough sawn boards". Local lumbermills often advertise there. Add a wood species to the search term if you are looking for something in particular.

Also, woodworkers / estates sometimes unload surplus personal stockpiles on Craigslist, and fantastic bargains can result. To use this strategy, though, you will want/need a lumber rack to store your booty.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
rjent wrote: Where are you getting rough sawn?
Check your local Craigslist for "rough sawn lumber" and "rough sawn boards". Local lumbermills often advertise there. Add a wood species to the search term if you are looking for something in particular.

Also, woodworkers / estates sometimes unload surplus personal stockpiles on Craigslist, and fantastic bargains can result. To use this strategy, though, you will want/need a lumber rack to store your booty.
I said "yeah, right", in New Mexico, we only have pine, fir, spruce, cedar, cottonwood etc. No way, but I did it anyway.

I found two guys (450 miles away) in the norther part of the state that has maple and red oak that came from his parents place in Wisconsin. The other was in Albuquerque who had cleared out his fathers wood stock and brought it to NM .... Who knew? LOL

Thanks Dennis, good tip. :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

So I might get this table saw

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp- ... /100090444

And then going to look at this tomorrow

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5333855401.html

Today is last day for sale on that table saw, and with military discount it will be 270. Then I might check that 500 model out since it has all the accessories the other doesn't. I could have best of both worlds possibly.

Any opinions?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IMHO, you will someday regret the HD saw purchase. I do not think it is as good as the 500!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

JPG wrote:IMHO, you will someday regret the HD saw purchase. I do not think it is as good as the 500!
I agree. At least give the Mark V a chance before getting another table saw. That saw will be on sale again. Also, I doubt if any portable saw like that will have the accuracy of the Mark V or a cabinet saw.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

My $0.02: Save the money you would spend on the Home Depot saw and put it to a used 510 or 520, which will be way more capable as a saw. Be patient, one will pop up in your area.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll pass on the table saw then. Is the 500 worthy as a table saw with the smaller surface area? Asking 250 but could offer 150-200.

Again, thank you all. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for being patient with me.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

some reading history here on SS
http://songofthegreatlakes.com/shopsmith.htm
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rjent wrote:
jsburger wrote:[
True, but for education purposes, a jointer is also used to flatten one face of a board that may be cupped or twisted or rough sawn. The board can then be run through a planer to flatten the other face. If you intend to buy only straight, surfaced boards, then you can probably get by without a jointer.

Yes Yes Yes.

"If you intend to buy only straight, surfaced boards" where the heck would that be. :confused: Those boards pretty much don't exist. That is why you need a jointer, planer and a table saw. I mostly use rough sawn stock and those tools are essential. The other essential tool is a band saw.
Where are you getting rough sawn?[/quote]

There is a local custom wood shop here called the Ellis Planing Mill. It is not now a planing mill it is a custom wood shop. It has been in the Ellis family for over 100 years. There are now two brothers and they do one of custom builds. I went in there one time and they had a 40' piece of Norway Spruce that they had been commission to build a replacement wing spar for a glider.

They keep all manner of rough sawn stock in 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4. They can get anything you want if they don't have it in stock. There is a MacBeth Lumber in Salt Lake where they buy a lot of their stock. MacBeth delivers once a week so they will get me anything I want without driving to Salt Lake.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT