Adios!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Nick wrote: I feel we'll see each other on the Internet sooner or later. Until then -- Keep your corners square!

With all good wishes,
Nick...thanks for being so generous with your insights into the craft we all share. Should you and Drew and the K9 crew ever decide to start up a "tips, tricks and projects" website, I believe I am not the only member of your congregation that would sign up. Best of luck in whatever your new plans are, and again, thanks for all you have done for SS and for us users.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

Nick,
To echo everyone else, thanks for everything this is a big loss to the community.
All the best wishes for the future, I hope our paths will cross again soon.
(beers are on me)

Greg
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Bad week gets worse

Post by wlhayesmfs »

One of the main things I look forward to is looking to see what is coming. This just says a little more to my week. I am in retail and inventory right now looking at 11 stores I am responsible for and their losses. This has been the worst year in 21 for me in losses and theft. More people out of work losing homes and turning to stealing to take care of kids and themselves. I know I am voting but not too sure the out come but some of it scares me to no end. I agree the sun will come up and hopefully I will get up in the morning just not too sure what my kids or grandkids will see in the next 10 years.
Good luck to Nick and Drew and SS.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

Nick, Drew and everyone else that have received walking papers. Truly sorry to hear about cutbacks. I don't post much on these forums but I do read them quite often. They have been great source of information and I think this program will decline without your expertise. Good luck in whatever you do and remember you have made a lot of friends. We will all be praying for you and keeping good thoughts about you all.
Thanks for everything you have done for all of us.
Bayside Bob
grayhane
Silver Member

Post by grayhane »

Thanks for all the wisdom you have passed along the way Nick, I believe you where the best asset the company had. I will be looking for stand alone tools from this point on simply because the best thing SS had going for them was the education. I will be looking forward to see what your upto next.
bobgroh
Gold Member

Sad tidings indeed!

Post by bobgroh »

Wow. How depressing. Obviously depressing for Nick and the rest of the crew at ShopSmith that have been let go but also a blow to the ShopSmith user community. I have owned my SS for over 20 years and just got back into it with the purchase of a used 510. And then discovered Sawdust Sessions, Drew, the dogs and everyone else. And now it's gone. My day is ruined. I have so enjoyed the video sessions and I feel like I have lost some friends.

The very best to all of you at ShopSmith that have been caught up in the economic crunch. Let's hope things get better. I'm going to go off and sulk.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Absolutely amazing. All the add-ons I purchased for my Shopsmith were directly because of Sawdust sessions, the forum, and last but certainly not least, Rick's traveling Academy. If it had not been for them, I would still have a very expensive table saw, "vertical boring machine", and lathe. Those add-ons cost many times more than the original machine.

Best wishes for your new careers. You will all be missed.

mike
:mad:
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
iclark
Platinum Member

thank you

Post by iclark »

Nick,

I wanted to say thank you to you and the others.
your efforts have been appreciated.

I join the others in wishing you well in your future endeavors and hope that you'll let the forum know where we might be able to support you in the future.

on a selfish note, I had really been looking forward to attending a TA in either FL or VA (or both if my wife was generous). I cannot help believing that SS has made a huge mistake.

again, thanks,
Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

Wow. Everything I've purchased for my neglected 500 that sat unused for years (including my 500 to 520 upgrade) was a direct result of discovering and watching the Hands On videos. These videos have reawakened in me an interest in woodworking as a hobby. Nick and Drew were Shopsmith to me. What worries me is that I'm sure the folks at Shopsmith know this, and yet they were forced into this position.

I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and buy what we need to keep on keeping on.

Nick, Drew, I hope you guys can find the time to be an active part of this community. Best wishes,

- Chris
jbooher
Gold Member

Post by jbooher »

Sorry to hear the news. Nick and Drew all the best of luck in the future. You have been a major learning partner in my woodworking. Let us know were you land and lets hope it will be better for you and your families.

James