Bandsaw and the PowerPro

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

JPG40504 wrote:I do hope the lower bearing lasts forever! I would use the blue version(semi-permanent).
Good point, but the bearings were renewed a short time back. :)
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

keakap wrote:Mine own "Chatter-Box" is a full-blown, max $$$, compleat, brand new, from da factory, not used, not abused, rip-roarin bangin mo-chine!

How long are you going to wait for Wes to call????

I am sure I do not need to inform you of the 5 hr time difference!

I thought it was in this thread, but it has been stated that the lower belt being insufficiently tight will cause bing bang boom! It further has been determined that the factory built units are amongst the population with 'sagging' belts!

Tighten up the belts and try again! Then if it still rattles, call after noon(your time) and INSIST upon a conversation with the guru on duty! Make that call before noon!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

[quote="JPG40504"]How long are you going to wait for Wes to call????

I am sure I do not need to inform you of the 5 hr time difference!

I thought it was in this thread, but it has been stated that the lower belt being insufficiently tight will cause bing bang boom! It further has been determined that the factory built units are amongst the population with 'sagging' belts!

Tighten up the belts and try again! Then if it still rattles, call after noon(your time) and INSIST upon a conversation with the guru on duty! Make that call before noon!]

By the lower belt, I presume you mean the longer one between the motor and the idler shaft?

Mine is tightened according to the instructions and is purdy durn tight. :)

I'm wondering if the Power Pro with it's error correction is just bringing out 20 year old slop in my system?

Unfortunately I have to call SS after 2.00pm as the 5 hour difference here is ahead of the USA. :D
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Wes Phone #'s

Post by nuhobby »

You guys really deserve the call with Wes. Last year I wrote down 1-937-410-0015 cell, or 1-800-543-9396 x315. My Sept 15 2010 call with him resulted in new programming settings which utterly silenced the sanding disk, and I've not loosened any setscrews since then. It was a long over-the-phone set of steps to go through.
Chris
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

nuhobby wrote:You guys really deserve the call with Wes. Last year I wrote down 1-937-410-0015 cell, or 1-800-543-9396 x315. My Sept 15 2010 call with him resulted in new programming settings which utterly silenced the sanding disk, and I've not loosened any setscrews since then. It was a long over-the-phone set of steps to go through.
Thanks Chris.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

nuhobby wrote:You guys really deserve the call with Wes. Last year I wrote down 1-937-410-0015 cell, or 1-800-543-9396 x315. My Sept 15 2010 call with him resulted in new programming settings which utterly silenced the sanding disk, and I've not loosened any setscrews since then. It was a long over-the-phone set of steps to go through.
Why is there not a procedure to follow. It seems like the need to "talk with Wes" has come up often enough that the problem would be better served with a detailed procedure.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
moose
Gold Member

Post by moose »

Sounds like the factory needs to include or publish a trouble shooting and step by step reprograming guide for the PP depending on the issues involved. Perhaps it would lessen the phone calls and user frustrations for those switching over. On the other hand, perhaps it would be too tempting not to fool around and goof things up further than what they are. Right now, the PP is like a new model car. You can test is under all conditions for infinity but when it gets into the hands of consumers, things just happen and for that reason, I'm not switching over until problems are resolved.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

keakap wrote:Unfortunately the band saw is not the only problem, and I suspect that finessing the problem via super-fine "tuning" of linkages is more along the line of hiding the real problem.
"Chatter" may also be experienced using sanding disc(s) either alone or in tandem with other tools, with no band saw present, alas & alack. Maybe it's just noise, but I tend to feel uncomfortable, sorta like using a full size wood axe with a loose head.

Referring to the first paragraph of the quote- I completely agree!!!!!:) That's why I put this sentence in post #25. After making sure the computer in the headstock is correctly adjusted, the problem can be fixed mechanically.

Guess I should have emphasized it.:o A talk with Wes should accomplish this.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:Referring to the first paragraph of the quote- I completely agree!!!!!:) That's why I put this sentence in post #25. After making sure the computer in the headstock is correctly adjusted, the problem can be fixed mechanically.

Guess I should have emphasized it.:o A talk with Wes should accomplish this.
There we go again. "A talk with Wes". Is Wes the only one who can react to these issues? What happens when Wes is available? Aaaah I know - every one waits for Wes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:There we go again. "A talk with Wes". Is Wes the only one who can react to these issues? What happens when Wes is available? Aaaah I know - every one waits for Wes.

In my experience - Yes! Wes is the only one Shopsmith has assigned to answer headstock computer tuning issues. It certainly seems that when a person buys a PowerPro, he may also find a need to talk with Wes.

At this time, ALL electrical issues (under warranty) with the PowerPro must be fixed by Shopsmith. This is one of those things you "buy" along with a PowerPro. Let's face it - if a person is not happy with this arrangement - PowerPro is not for him/her.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA