New to this site and have questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Very good comments on filtration. I'll try to incorporate these different systems into my small space. How bout a good sized room air exchanger mounted at an external wall that will exhaust to the outside and a hepa filter mounted on the other wall to clean the fresh air being pulled in by the exchanger? Whatta ya think?

Another question, does it make sense to run the DC tubes (pvc piping) from the ceiling and picking up directly above a machine? Or would that take considerably more CFM's to accomplish?
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

pieceseeker wrote:Very good comments on filtration. I'll try to incorporate these different systems into my small space. How bout a good sized room air exchanger mounted at an external wall that will exhaust to the outside and a hepa filter mounted on the other wall to clean the fresh air being pulled in by the exchanger? Whatta ya think?

Another question, does it make sense to run the DC tubes (pvc piping) from the ceiling and picking up directly above a machine? Or would that take considerably more CFM's to accomplish?
Pieceseeker,

I like the care you engage in planning. I used a ceiling filter unit. I need to clean the filter periodically. Our winters are really cold and summers hot. Thus the interior air filter works better. I also have a gas ceiling space heater that keeps my shop at 65 degrees all winter and a window (wall mounted) AC for summer.

As to CFM for DC3300. I find that having hoses near the floor is far more effecient. While planning my new shop the heating engineer suggested that would allow much better efficiency. It take a lot to raise the dust to the ceiling and then back down to 3300. I would prefer to maximumize the dust pick up. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Here in Atlanta, we have long spring and fall, so I could incorporate both type filtrations. Just use the correct one given the current temperature. We'll have to see, maybe its overkill, maybe when it comes to health its underkill. :D

I'll have to research DC CFM rating on different brands, but I swear I saw a ceiling setup for sawdust collection. But maybe it was PCV hard tubing along the bottom of the wall....maybe that was it.
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

I believe I've seen what you seek- a ceiling saw dust collector. I've also seen some home made filters where guys use thick high MERV HVAC fllters and an old box fan.

Here is an interesting link:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... ter-system
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

backhertz wrote:I believe I've seen what you seek- a ceiling saw dust collector. I've also seen some home made filters where guys use thick high MERV HVAC fllters and an old box fan.

Here is an interesting link:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173117-Workshop-dust-and-heat-pumps-a-no-no!!-What-filter-system
My comments were not intended to say the ceiling configuration does not exist. In fact I am definitely not putting my opinions forward as Expert. I am not that smart. I read the request for information as related to what has been tried and works best with the DC 3300. Thus I posted my opinion. Which is simply based upon my very limited experience. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

fjimp wrote:My comments were not intended to say the ceiling configuration does not exist. In fact I am definitely not putting my opinions forward as Expert. I am not that smart. I read the request for information as related to what has been tried and works best with the DC 3300. Thus I posted my opinion. Which is simply based upon my very limited experience. Jim
I believe you about your experience with the DC3300. It may very well take a stronger DC unit in order to be successful with ceiling mounted tubing. It only stands to reason that larger size cuttings (or any size for that matter) will require more velocity and volume to move in a vertical direction. Rockler.com has a pretty good article about saw dust control and system design.