New Chat Room Software

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

Dusty,

The chat room loads from addonchat's server, so it is separate from the web page and video. You will still be able to view the web page and video as normal.

Nick sent addonchat an email yesterday pertaining to the problem that you are having. I will check with Nick today to see if he has got a response back. In the support forums, I read a few postings about others getting the same error message as you, but nothing was mentioned about how to fix this. So I hope addonchat replies with a solution.
Shopsmith I.T.
fjimp
Platinum Member

At Last It Works For Me.

Post by fjimp »

At last my wife who posseses a higher intelect than mine esplained to me.

In order to test the chat room I had to first click on the vertical (white Background test message.) then I found a second test message. After then entering a log in password of my design I discovered the only place to type a chat message is literally at the bottom of the screen on the left side of the send button. It would have been nice for this dummy if it had said type here. Oh well I got it at last. Then all worked famously.

To Chuck I am thrilled you are staying with us. I am terribly sorry if some of my dribble on the sewdust sessions offends you. I am one who becomes so totally disgusted with how serious our world has become that I often attempt to interject my own brand of humor. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

As Doug (ADMIN) pointed out, I advised Addon Chat Support that a few of you were having problems, and they wrote back this morning:

Nick,

What is the error message some users are getting?
As this could be related to a firewall issue, but would need to know the message.

You could try the following also, if not done so already:

If you are unable to load and/or login to the chat room, we recommend visiting the AddonInteractive Support Center TroubleShooter at: http://support.addoninteractive.com/ind ... le_shooter

The trouble shooter will help you resolve common user issues.

Should your issue persist, we generally recommend clearing your browser's cache and/or restarting your computer to ensure that you're chat room isn't loading because of cache instability. Instructions for clearing your web browser's cache (temporary internet files) can be found at http://support.addoninteractive.com/ind ... &article=2

If you or your users are experiencing problems logging in, and you suspect the problem may be caused by a firewall preventing access, please read the knowledge base article concerning this at: http://support.addoninteractive.com/ind ... article=21

Regards,

Anthony Blyth
AddonInteractive Support Team

To which I replied:

Anthony, this is what our participant “Dusty” reports:

“When I try to Login, I get an error: Error connecting to server. Please try again in a few minutes.

This is located in a Login Box with my Username already filled in and a button for Login. There is also a logo from addonChat, Java Chat Software. Bottom line: I have Java loaded and enabled but it still doesn't work.”

At least two other participants report the same thing. They all swear they have cleaned their cache, restarted their computer, sacrificed a virgin, and voted Libertarian to no avail. They all seem to be using IE. Dusty is using IE on Windows 2000.

I note that several folks on your Forum have reported the same problem. Greg seems to be talking to them, but has not yet resolved the issue. You might give him a shout and put your heads together.

And that's where the matter stands. You know the drill: "We are aware of the problem and will keep you posted."

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thank you, Nick for the extra effort.

I will go to those references and check to see if they offer insight that has not already been tried.

You are right when you say we have booted and rebooted, shut down and come back up, reloaded add ins, cleared the cache, manually checked and deleted temp files, dropped all fire walls and then did it again.

I've done just about every thing short of reformatting the hard drives.

BTW, I get the same symptoms when I do this in AOL.

My grand daugther is bringing her laptop with wireless interface to try tomorrow, I hope.

Thanks again. I may now speak with you via chat room on Saturday but I'll be there, rest assured.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

In the trouble shooter< I get the following message after answering all of the trouble shooting questions.

Please try again in a few minutes. We are likely experiencing technical problems. Be assured that we are well aware of any problems and will resolve them very shortly. If you continue to experience this problem, please submit a support ticket.

I receive that "Please try again in a few minutes" when the error occurs.

I guess maybe the test doesn't run long enough for the server to get synced in. Maybe on Saturday, right before the session is over I'll be let in.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I still am not certain which server is not being connected. Is there more than one involved in this operation.

Obviously, the Shopsmith server is connected because the Sawdust Session (Test Page) is running.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi - - I'm back after my pout! Really didn't want to accept the "FREE" addon Chat from "Sun", but did this AM. (I'm waiting for glue to cure) So my FREE subscription of addonChat will expire December 31, 1969. I'll deal with that situation then!? HA!:p

Here's what I see after clicking on the link that Nick gave us in his first post: I see and here the video, but cannot any longer enlarge it. The bottom of the page is white and blank with the exception of the words - "Java Chat Software" (purple in color) When left clicking on those words, I am sent to the "addonCHAT V8.0" sign up page.

When accessing the Sawdust Session pages thru my normal address (saved in "my favorites") Then click on the "Classroom Door" and signed in - I see a page for Sawdust Session #22 (this is normal, as #23 doesn't start until Saturday). The interesting thing to me is there is still a dark purple link below the picture place that says "Java Chat Software" (This time there is no white page - just a dark background, making the purple words hard to see.) Clicking on this link again takes me to the "addonChat v8.0" sign up page.

I believe these sequences to be normal. And I believe I will now be able to sign in on Saturday morning (If I can get out of bed, in time).
Hopefully, explaining what I see will help someone. It was really a non-problematic process. What confused me was looking for the little sign in boxes that Nick described in his audio from the first link. Duh! (should have known better!) these boxes won't appear until Saturday.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese, I may not be the one to give advise since I am not yet confident that I can get into the chat room; but, when I go in thru the classroom door I get something different than you do.

All of my previous posts regarding the chat room have been based on what happens to me when I go in thru the Test Page and view the "to test the live classroom" link.

Going in thru the classroom:

I have a white screen where you expect the chat room and in that white screen are the words:

Richard_5888
Error connecting to server. Please try again in a few mionutes.

I believe that my error in connection to the server in this case is because the "Live Video" server is not running (thus the black screen).

I would suggest that you click on that "addonChat v8.0" sign up page and do whatever you are directed to do there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

charlese, When you go to the test page, you only need to input a username (any username) then click the login button. You don't need to sign-up for anything. And in the real class room, you will be logged into the chat automatically after logging in to the sawdust session. If you are getting a text message rather than seeing the chat room, it's not working. Did you try installing java?

Dusty, The web page is on our server, and addonchat is hosting the chat room. So you should only be getting an error message where the chat area is. This message is coming from them.

I have attached a picture of how the chat room looks when it loads successfully.

Nick and I will keep posting information as we find it.
Attachments
chatexample.gif
chatexample.gif (38.05 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
Shopsmith I.T.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

admin wrote:charlese, When you go to the test page, you only need to input a username (any username) then click the login button. You don't need to sign-up for anything. And in the real class room, you will be logged into the chat automatically after logging in to the sawdust session. If you are getting a text message rather than seeing the chat room, it's not working. Did you try installing java?

Dusty, The web page is on our server, and addonchat is hosting the chat room. So you should only be getting an error message where the chat area is. This message is coming from them.

I have attached a picture of how the chat room looks when it loads successfully.

Nick and I will keep posting information as we find it.
My guess would be a problem at the user end at the computer. I have no problem at all getting it to work. I get exactly what is shown in the pic above. You do get the sign in on the test page.