Time for another potpourri thread?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Time for another potpourri thread?

Post by reible »

Yes there seems to be an elastic shortage. Our DIL has been getting wider and cutting it down while she waits for a shipment to arrive. Have to see if the supplier really had some in stock or just took orders.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

garys wrote:Hmmm. Those masks look a bit familiar. My Wife has been sewing similar masks here and sending them out to family members to use.

The problem right now is that she has consumed all the elastic from her sewing box and finding a new supply is very difficult. She put in an order for elastic earlier this week, but found only one company online that says they still have it in stock. I hope they do, but don't hold much hope as they say it will take a week or 2 to ship it.
mask.jpg
But before elastic became popular, they used to have long pieces of material top and bottom to tie a bow with to hold them in place. Should still work just not as quick to put on or take off and can be replaced when elastic is available easily. Maybe I can talk my husband into making some for us. Me and sewing do not go together but he used to make the kids' cloths when they were little.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Wife and I are hunkered down and, only leave our place for groceries. There are six 3M masks left from my box of 20. We hang them in the sun after use. I've read that six hours will do the trick. But, to be safe, I ordered 100 more from Amazon. They 3M ones were unavailable so, the new ones are the blue surgical type. They should arrive by 4/20. We're probably good till then. Got a good stock of Harbor Freight 7 mil vinyl gloves and a gallon of DNA separated in to spray bottles. We spray things like gas pump handles but, wear the gloves too.
We're way out in the boonies on 27 acres. We feel pretty safe for now.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Surely A SS aficionado has a spouse with sufficient 'independent' thinking ability and a sewing bent can come up with an alternative method for securing the cloth mask to the user's brain cavity.

Apron strings come to mind. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I would be a bit concerned about reusing the paper masks as you can't wash them like cloth. This virus seems to have a long shelf life of days or even longer. The cloth masks should be washed in a weak bleach solution after each use. Bleach is just about the only tool we have that kills viruses.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

garys wrote:I would be a bit concerned about reusing the paper masks as you can't wash them like cloth. This virus seems to have a long shelf life of days or even longer. The cloth masks should be washed in a weak bleach solution after each use. Bleach is just about the only tool we have that kills viruses.
Could be some additional ideas in this document.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ators.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

This is my week for making a useless project. Right now I have lots of time, and lots of small wood scraps so I decided to make a bowl that I have no use for. But, I did it just because I can. Isn't that why I own my Shopsmith?
bowl.jpg
bowl.jpg (125.35 KiB) Viewed 12413 times
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Nice use of scraps and time. Not useless, though. Fill it with popcorn.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Anyone got their stimulus deposit(s) yet? None in my bank account, I just checked.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I don't do electronic returns so the IRS doesn't have my bank information. They will have to send me a check so I expect mine by October. Then, I can buy some Halloween candy.