New Power Pro coming!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:BTW, what temp does aluminum melt at?:eek::D
It's melting point is 1221°.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Smokey is here!

Post by ChrisNeilan »

The Mark VII came while I was away in Florida. I should be bothered by that as fedex said they would hold it till Wednesday (but I'm not!). A lot of soot, but the plastic wrap around the cardboard crate showed no signs of heat exposure at all. Got it home and took it apart so I could get it into the basement. So far only had a chance to install the casters from my old Mark V. Everything looks good so far. Had a call from Shopsmith this morning checking on how things were going and what to do if there was any concealed damage. I liked that, shows good concern for the customer. Will post more later.:)
Fred Grover
Gold Member

Post by Fred Grover »

Thanks Ed. I must have missed this post reply. I just wish they were closer and somewhere in Iowa as those locations are a long drive for me. Maybe Shopsmith will make it into Iowa one of these days. I appreciate that link.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

ChrisNeilan wrote:The Mark VII came while I was away in Florida. I should be bothered by that as fedex said they would hold it till Wednesday (but I'm not!). A lot of soot, but the plastic wrap around the cardboard crate showed no signs of heat exposure at all. Got it home and took it apart so I could get it into the basement. So far only had a chance to install the casters from my old Mark V. Everything looks good so far. Had a call from Shopsmith this morning checking on how things were going and what to do if there was any concealed damage. I liked that, shows good concern for the customer. Will post more later.:)
I'm glad you finally got your new powerpro! I agree with the posters above about having serious discussions (IN WRITING) with shopsmith.

Personally I would ask for a completely different unit or at least doubling the warranty period.
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I had a good talk with a Mr. Powell at Shopsmith, one of the designers of the Power Pro. Got off the phone feeling very very good about things. As I said in an earlier post, there was absolutely no heat or water damage to the unit. Even the books showed no curling of the paper. Not even an odor of smoke. The unit was so well packed in it's crate that I sincerely believe that you could have dropped this thing from ten feet onto cement and it would have survived!!! Now the dust collector, we'll see. I think it's OK. That was obviously nearer to the fire. It was a "freebie" from the show promotion.

I will say, the people at Shopsmith have been very good about this. I own a small business and can say from my own experiences what customer service can do to keep a customer!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I had a good talk with a Mr. Powell at Shopsmith, one of the designers of the Power Pro. Got off the phone feeling very very good about things. As I said in an earlier post, there was absolutely no heat or water damage to the unit. Even the books showed no curling of the paper. Not even an odor of smoke. The unit was so well packed in it's crate that I sincerely believe that you could have dropped this thing from ten feet onto cement and it would have survived!!! Now the dust collector, we'll see. I think it's OK. That was obviously nearer to the fire. It was a "freebie" from the show promotion.

I will say, the people at Shopsmith have been very good about this. I own a small business and can say from my own experiences what customer service can do to keep a customer!
And from a small business owner's perspective, how effective are nasty grams?;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

My nastygram was actually quite mild. :o I have only received a very few nasties,( my family business is in it's 90th year), but when responded to quickly all turned out well. You usually learn from them. Usually, but not always! Now it's time to go make some sawdust! I probably should read at least a little of the instruction manual first to be safe...:confused:
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Turned it on, cut a board. Wow! Quite, smooth, just like at the show, only better! The only thing I miss is a dado insert. I thought it came with one, but maybe not. Or, maybe I have not found it yet.... With all this tooling I have to ask myself why not just make the insert?
All happy!:)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Turned it on, cut a board. Wow! Quite, smooth, just like at the show, only better! The only thing I miss is a dado insert. I thought it came with one, but maybe not. Or, maybe I have not found it yet.... With all this tooling I have to ask myself why not just make the insert?
All happy!:)
I do not think it is 'missing', just not included(like batteries:D).

A good 'project'!:cool:

Do enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

The other insert that comes standard with the M7 is the shaper insert. Because you get the double tilt option, they include some pieces (insert, safety, etc.) to help you use that setup.

If you go to the Shopsmith site, there is a picture of everything that comes standard with the M7. I used that picture to verify (and explain) what I received.

Though I do have a SS dado insert, I will make ZCIs of a few widths that will be common for projects, especially those using plywood.

Be well,
Ben