Bandsaw and the PowerPro

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

charlese wrote:Referring to the first paragraph of the quote- I completely agree!!!!!:) That's why I put this sentence in post #25. After making sure the computer in the headstock is correctly adjusted, the problem can be fixed mechanically.

Guess I should have emphasized it.:o A talk with Wes should accomplish this.
You are absolutely 100% correct-a-mundo!
Dang, this age thing stinks. I used to have powers of retention that went beyond one paragraph. (Or am I eating too many prunes?)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

charlese wrote:...
Glad PowerPro is for you! Gotta be frustrating trying to get service while living across the big water from Shopsmith. Hope you get a call soon!!!!
Hm, what a coincidence-- ShopSmith is about halfway between us (UK & HI). And the postage is about the same.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

keakap wrote:You are absolutely 100% correct-a-mundo!
Dang, this age thing stinks. I used to have powers of retention that went beyond one paragraph. (Or am I eating too many prunes?)
That is hard to tell! How many prunes do you eat?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:That is hard to tell! How many prunes do you eat?
dunno. maybe I should count...

how many prunes could a Power Poo pound if a Power Poo could pound prunes?

oof. that Power Poo pounding has me punch drunk...
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:...
I have an extensive background in environmental testing, including vibration and mechanical shock. Based on that background, I am here to say that some day something has got to give.:eek:
(And it has. See post "Danger" on the Woodworking Tool forum)
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

[quote="JPG40504"]How long are you going to wait for Wes to call????
I thought it was in this thread, but it has been stated that the lower belt being insufficiently tight will cause bing bang boom! It further has been determined that the factory built units are amongst the population with 'sagging' belts!

Tighten up the belts and try again! Then if it still rattles, call after noon(your time) and INSIST upon a conversation with the guru on duty! Make that call before noon!]

Somehow I dont remember this message. I will hencefroth recheck the sagging belt. (On the Shopsmith, that is-- I'm already on a diet).
And if that dont do it I Will call again. (And yes, I am still awaiting Wes's return call, and it's becoming a problem. Try keeping a ready phone at hand 24-7 for half a year. Tiring.)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

keakap wrote:Somehow I dont remember this message. I will hencefroth recheck the sagging belt. (On the Shopsmith, that is-- I'm already on a diet).
And if that dont do it I Will call again. (And yes, I am still awaiting Wes's return call, and it's becoming a problem. Try keeping a ready phone at hand 24-7 for half a year. Tiring.)
In a situation like you have here, I would attempt to establish a return phone call conference (date/time) with Wes -- so that when he CALLS YOU you will be there to answer.

Now is the time and circumstance when CUSTOMER SERVICE can either shine or loose their glitter.

I will be watching this, you can be sure.

If you operate without the band saw being attached, do you ever hear these unusual noises?

It does not seem as though the band saw would present such a formidable load to the PowerPro.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Dusty, Keakap, JPG:
I have just posted a response in the Tool Review section to a another poster about a noise in my headstock that changed depending on the load on the spindle. Problem was a loose set screw on the motor pully. It was loose by almost one full turn.
Bill V
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Here We Go Again

Post by SDSSmith »

Upgraded my headstock to the PowerPro yesterday. Sucker runs very smooth and so much quieter than before. That is until, I mounted my old bandsaw. I set it up to resaw some 2x material and sure enough started hearing some intermittent knocking in the headstock. Enough knocking that it loosened the headstock drive hub. I checked alignment, power coupler fit and drive hubs. Locktited the set screws on the drive hubs. It does appear as though feedrate affects the noise. I will call Shopsmith in the a.m. to start the trouble shooting process.

I had hoped this issue had been solved by now.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

SDSSmith wrote:Upgraded my headstock to the PowerPro yesterday. Sucker runs very smooth and so much quieter than before. That is until, I mounted my old bandsaw. I set it up to resaw some 2x material and sure enough started hearing some intermittent knocking in the headstock. Enough knocking that it loosened the headstock drive hub. I checked alignment, power coupler fit and drive hubs. Locktited the set screws on the drive hubs. It does appear as though feedrate affects the noise. I will call Shopsmith in the a.m. to start the trouble shooting process.

I had hoped this issue had been solved by now.
If I have followed this issue close enough, it seems to me that some users have solved this problem by replacing the power coupler with one that was tighter on the hubs.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty