A Slow Boat To Nowhere

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

newportcycle
Gold Member

Post by newportcycle »

Well done. Now the fun begins.
algale
Platinum Member

"A Beautiful 16 Foot Canoe"

Post by algale »

The second and third epoxy coats are done!

[ATTACH]26848[/ATTACH]

Right now I'd describe this as "a beautiful 16 foot canoe": if you are standing 16 feet away it is beautiful. :D Up close, however, there are lots of runs, drips and other imperfections in the epoxy. :( I will have to trust that they will sand out and the varnish will bring back the clarity of the epoxy.

Up close the weave is a bit more visible than I would have hoped but there's nothing that can be done about that now. As Shipwright previously said it won't matter much when I don't have my nose two inches from the canoe.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg (135.53 KiB) Viewed 10157 times
dusty
Platinum Member

A Slow Boat To Nowhere

Post by dusty »

I think that it looks great. Job well done!

Besides, when I am in a canoe I don't worry so much about how the weave looks as I do about whether or not the canoe leaks and do I have a paddle.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Wow! That is beautiful.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Absolutely stunning! Use it and enjoy it. You still have a standing invitation to bring it to our lake ..... :D

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Looks like it turned out to be worth all the pain.
Great work.
Now all you have to do is get it in the water. When you do a funny thing will take place ......... the up close quality of the finish will become a distant memory, trust me on that one.

Well done
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Very nice

Post by masonsailor2 »

Beautifully done. That should make for a few interesting journeys ! Any idea what the final weight is ? A wooden canoe has such a great feel to them. Aluminum and plastic canoes work well but there is somehow a different experience in a well made wooden one. Same goes for kayaks. Hope it gives you many great times on the water :)
Paul
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

masonsailor2 wrote:Beautifully done. That should make for a few interesting journeys ! Any idea what the final weight is ? A wooden canoe has such a great feel to them. Aluminum and plastic canoes work well but there is somehow a different experience in a well made wooden one. Same goes for kayaks. Hope it gives you many great times on the water :)
Paul
The designer of the canoe says it should be 65 lbs. I'm guessing this will be heavier because of my inexperience using epoxy and fiberglass.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

masonsailor2 wrote: Aluminum and plastic canoes work well but there is somehow a different experience in a well made wooden one.
These days when we venture forth in small boats it is not for reasons of commerce or economic need but for reasons that are recreational, aesthetic and maybe even spiritual. And the boat itself is a major part of the experience. Being afloat in a wooden boat of your own making is uplifting and exhilarating. Congratulations on completing in style another step towards that experience. The canoe looks great! Thanks for all the pictures of your project.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Very nice. When do you get to test it out?
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless