Hands On Magazine

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Hands On Magazine

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Does anyone know if old issues of Hands On are available? It was a great magazine.
Doug
Greenville, SC
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Thank you, Doug. I founded Hands On! many years ago and I appreciate your kind words. Back issues of Hands On! are available on CD -- see page 70 of the Christmas catalog. or click http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item.

With all good wishes,
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Hands On

Post by Greenvilleguy »

The subject of the Hands On magazine came up in another thread about the ring master. Hands On had an article in Nov / Dec 1979 of how to make various turning from a single board using the SS jig saw.

Just by coincidence, I was making this doll cradle for a granddaughter's Christmas Present. It came from Hands On magazine as well.

(Nick, In the photo, you may notice a tray under my SS. The tray was original built to catch sawdust and is based on another set of plans from SS - probably Hands On. Today, it's just a convenient place to stick push sticks, dado blades, miter gauge, extra saw blades, extra inserts, etc.)

Anyway, I miss the magazine. Do the CDs volumes correspond to issues of Hands On, i.e. can I fill in missing issues with specific CDs?
Attachments
Doll Cradle.JPG
Doll Cradle.JPG (54.72 KiB) Viewed 9501 times
Doug
Greenville, SC
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Is it the pic or what but it looks like your ss is shorter than normal width. Also is that a greenie upgraded to 520:cool:
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Question for Nick has the online handson magazine stopped? There hasn't been one since last july/august.
admin
Gold Member

Handson

Post by admin »

Hands On! magazine online has been replaced with Handsonline. We simply ran out of articles to publish from the old Hands On! magazines. We are currently determining what to do with the shopsmithhandson.com web site. It will most likely be archived and/or combined with a future project.
Shopsmith I.T.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Scott,

It's a normal size SS. In the picture, I've got the disk sander on the left side of the table so the headstock is further left of the table than normal. I'm guessing that is what is causing it to look shorter.

By the way, it's a 1954 model my father bought used in 1957.
Doug
Greenville, SC