wood chisels

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdewinter
Gold Member

wood chisels

Post by rdewinter »

I just bought some wood chisels for my son for Christmas at the local Rockler store. The chisels were packaged under the Irwin name, but also referenced the Marples name. Is Marples owned by Irwin? I was under the impression that Marples was an independent British company and "top drawer" when it comes to chisels. Any comments or complaints about ownig or using Marple chisels? I have a set and really like them.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

No complaints at all. They seem to hold an edge very nicely.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Irwin did buy Marples however the Marples Blue Chip chisels (an industry favorite) continued to be made in Sheffield England. That is until this year when production was moved to China.

Highland Hardware got caught with their pants down in the their 2007 catalogue where they advertised them as being made in England. They have corrected this in their blog and future catalogues.

Their opinion of the chisels is they seem to take the same keen edge as the old Sheffield steel chisels but many wonder if they are as durable. Time will tell.

Highland Hardware recommends their Narex 6 piece set for $47 over the Marples but with the disclaimer the handles of the Narex will not take the beating the Marples will. Rockler also sells a line of Crown chisels which have the Sheffield Steel blades.

Frankly I would not worry about them since you already bought them.
Ed