Filming the traveling academy?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robg
Gold Member

Filming the traveling academy?

Post by robg »

The traveling academy was excellent, but it's a "watch someone else do stuff" environment. As time goes by, the details of advice and technique are slipping away. Has anyone ever thought about filming the academy sessions and offering a dvd to alumni? I would buy one.

The class would be much better if we could learn by doing instead of watching, but that would be much more difficult to pull off.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

The class would be much better if we could learn by doing instead of watching, but that would be much more difficult to pull off.
Back in the 80's after I bought my 500, I attended a 2 or 3 day session at the Shopsmith Factory store in Minneapolis. That class was worth every penny that I spent. Now there are no more factory stores, except for the one in Dayton. If you get the opportunity, attend one or more of the sessions at the National Woodworking Academy. If it's anything like the class I attended, you won't be sorry.

Bruce
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I agree with desiring having the ability to purchase a DVD of all three of the current academies. Yet fully believe in the value of attending in person first. Jim P.
Bill-Co
Bronze Member

traveling acadamy

Post by Bill-Co »

I also would like to have a video of the three days of the acadamy. I think that if it was made available to you after attending the three days that it would sell. It would be great to go back and review the class for the things that are forgotten or just to review.
chukker
Bronze Member

Post by chukker »

I'm inclined to agree about wood working schools. I am a hands on person myself. Books have never built anything. Indulge me if you would.
I watched my first Shop Smith demo in the 1970's something. The demonstrator buzzed out a French curved leg for a table in no time at all. He also showed the inline boreing aspect of the machine. I was impressed but couldn't part with the $1200.00 for the base machine because of family responsibilities. I realized that the demonstrator had been trained to give that demonstration and that a mere novice wouldn't be able to do things that easily without some training.
In 2002 I went to another demo and with retirement just a couple of years away and the children gone I decided to purchase the machine. I bought the Mark 520 with quite a few extras including a band saw, jointer, vacume, covers etc. I paid a greatly increased price for this equipment from what it sold for in the 70's. I didn't have time to go to woodworking classes because of work, classes were too far away and various other reasons.
I have since retired and have been looking at going to a travleing class until I read your note. I'm not saying that I wouldnt learn something. What I am saying is that it scares me to think that I'm going to pay for a lecture where the instructor has been intensively trained by SS, with hands on, to make his class look so very easy.
First and formost the instructor is a SS salesman, who is going to buzz through the class with attachments and tools that I probably don't have. If I had the tools and attachments, I probably wouldn't be very proficent with them and since I didn't have "hands on" wouldn't be any better off. If I didn't have them I'd probably buy them. I'm not sure my pocket book can afford much more with having to buy SS band saw blades, jointer blades, tenoning jigs, etc.
Maybe I'm wrong but for the money we spend on equiptment, the cost of classes, possibly motel and food out if we have to stay overnight because classes seem to be held in major metropolitan areas, I'm not sure that we are asking for too much to get "hands on" experience.
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

Chukker,

I think the classes are incredible for beginners. There are two things you need to do to get the most out of them though - take a million notes, even of things you think are obvious. I wish I had written down a step by step process of everything I saw the instructer do. The other is to bring a camera and take pictures of how some stuff is set up.

The instructor I had the pleasure of having may have been trained by SS, but he was a life long, succesful woodworker that had amazing skill, ability and knowledge. Yes, I will never be able to use tools like he does. I am already 25 years of experience behind and I will never do woodwork all day long every day. But it was still very educational.

It is true that the academies are as much traveling accessory sales demonstrations as anything else. The trick is to figure out what you really want to do with your SS and limit any purchases you might make to just the ability to do that work. There are many ways to accomplish most tasks. You usually don't *need* the accessories, they just make your life easier. One exception might be turning, but that's not something I am interested in, so I didn't pay all that much attention.

I will go again next year. I will take more notes that I can refer to after the academy is ancient history. I am also going to try and get some classes in at a local junior college. As you mentioned, a book never taught anything. Finally, as I am sure you realize, if you sign up when you get your first e-mail notice, tuition is pretty cheap.

On the other hand, if you have classes available for woodworking that are hands on, they might be a better choice. You just won't get to see new ways to use your shop smith.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

The two Traveling Academy courses that I went to, Basics II and Beginning Lathe, were not just lectures, especially the lathe class. In the Basics II class, we used the jointer, table saw, and planer, if I remember correctly. In the Lathe class, we broke up into two groups and turned a bowl as a group project. We then had a drawing to see who got to take the bowls home. Even though there wasn't a lot of hands-on, it was definitely worth it, especially the Lathe class which was in my home town (no motel expense :)).
jaggy
Bronze Member

Traveling Academy

Post by jaggy »

I attended all 3 classes, shortly after buying a used SS. There was hands on with the table saw, jointer, planner, and spindle/bowl turning. It was a lot to absorb but worth every penny of the cost. I spent another 3K on upgrades and accessories. Since the academy, I've seen a lot of email specials where I could have saved hundreds of dollars if I had waited to buy. I recommend only buying from the sales brochure that the instructor will have. Other items can be bought later as they go on sale. I bought the sharpening guide packages and now can't remember how to set them up to sharpen at the proper angles. I need a video of the setup and operation. In most demonstrations, the setup is already accomplished and the process seems so easy when the instructor drops the tool on the accessory and in 5 seconds or less the tool is sharp. Many basics are left out. I guess I will have to attend again and take more notes.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Never been to a traveling academy but I have seen a few demos and the instructor is very good at what he demos. I have however purchased several videos via ebay on the shopsmith. The video called fundamentals is very helpful and it is the basis for the rest of the line. I have the following videos fundamentals, hope chest, toys and crafts, entertainment center and one called bookcases offered by sunset. I know there are others out there but I haven't picked them up yet. If shopsmith would add these to their catalog I'm pretty sure they would sell. The video kits that I have purchased come with plans and a detailed book on each project.
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi Fellow Shopsmither's,

I have attended all three classes several times and learn a lot of new things everytime.
The two things you need to do at these classes is first, ask questions. Speak up! The instructor is there to teach you. Afterall, your paying his salary. They are more than happy to answer your questions because they love teaching and talking woodworking.
The second is take lots of notes and draw diagrams with your notes. I find if I draw diagrams and take notes, what I was taught is easier to remember.
My first instructor was Doug Reid. He was great at showing how to make the Shopsmith sing. He has now since retired from the company. The new instructor's name is Rick Davis. He is a lifetime woodworker and was picked personally by Doug to take over the west coast academy. He knows about every in and out of the woodworking world and has done it. He can teach the very basics to the downright technical if someone in the class needs the information. He shows simple ways on how to keep your shopsmith aligned and running smooth that is not in any of the books, and that's just the start.
I have found that the tuition is well worth it. As far as hands-on, I have never seen Rick not answer someone's question or turn down a students request to try a procedure hands-on.
What I have found is that most of the students who attend the classes are either afraid to speak up or are embarrased to do so in front of other fellow Shopsmith owners. Most also get very nervous if they do hands-on work, being afraid they will screw up and make a mistake in front of everyone. But remember, this is a class where questions and hands-on participation is encouraged.
What can be a bother though is sometimes a student will want to take photos, and though Rick will allow it, it can become bothersome to the other students when someone is up in front of you with a camera flash going off every five seconds. It detracts from the whole experience and makes the class not very enjoyable when you are blinded by the constant flash:mad: . If you do want to take photos, make sure you use a camera that doesn't require the use of a flash:o .
I hope they keep the traveling academy going as I enjoy attending every chance I get. There are going to be a lot of changes coming soon to the Shopsmith company, and I hope these changes won't include ending the academy.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o