Used Speed Reducer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Used Speed Reducer

Post by ryanbp01 »

I was offered a used speed reducer yestersday that is around 15-20 years old ($50.00). It appears to be in good condition for a used piece of equipment. The manual gives the Shopsmith address as being on Image Drive rather than Poe Road in Dayton. However I don't know what a fair price would be. ANy ideas would be greatly appreciated.

10 more days til Christmas,
BPR
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Do you turn?

Post by chiroindixon »

Seeing that the price is about $250 new....What condition is it in?

For someone that does lathe turning, this is a must have. A large wood chunk will have that Mark V dancing across the floor unless the RPM's are turned way down....

If you want to do bowls....gotta have one. My wife attended a TA with me and I got the OK for one as soon as she saw it work. She is very timid about turning and this got her back into it.

Doc
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Speed Reducer

Post by alaskanexile »

BPR,

Oh my, that's way too much money!
But just tell me how I can get a hold of the guy.
Roger
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I love mine, and not only does it work for the lathe it is great with large drill bits.

It is very simple in design just a 7:1 (right? from memory now so check this out) belt drive packaged to mount on the shopsmith. I guess if it was used a lot the bearings and or belts could wear out but the $50 price seems to be a fair price if it is good working condition.

So far as I know the design has never changed so you should be able to get parts if you need them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Well, I went ahead and bought it. It appears to be in relatively good condition. After seeing what another person had done restoring an older Shopsmith on a different thread, I decided to do the same thing with this. I am wanting to experiment turning bowls. When I was in Lowe's awhile back I picked up an magazine called "Fine Woodturning". It featured the actor William H. Macy and his getting started with bowl turning. It has served as my inspiration.

BPR
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I have the same issue and it did the same to me. I just don't have the budget right now for the reducer but I have done some segmented turning on my SS and made one bowl. It worked other than some catches that I just could not sand out. It takes alot of practice. It looks easier than it really is to do it right. But man is it fun. I just love woodworking I can't wait until I get proficent like the others on this forum. Some of their pictures are so wonderful to see. Oh yes I love my SS also I'm so happy I bought it because I am able to try making almost anything I see in a magazine with it. It does it all. Have fun and be safe.