Wixey Digital Fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Wixey Digital Fence

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I was wondering has anyone tried to put the Wixey Digital Fence ( http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20147 ) on their Shopsmith?

Woodcraft if you follow the above link has the digital fence on sale plus they toss in the digital angle gauge if you order soon.

I know the Digital fence uses a tape stripe that must be installed on a rail. What I was wondering was how gaps would effect it since you would have to put a section of the tape on each section SS tables.

I have used the the digital fence on another saw and I really like it. What is especially nice is the fact you don't have to worry about parallelex or finding your high power glasses to read the tiny markings. I believe the tape was in sections on the saw I tried but I don't remember for sure.

Looking for feed back anyone have this installed or know for sure you can use it on SS?
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Digital Fence

Post by dusty »

I have not seen one of these but I looked at the Woodcraft website for details on what they are marketing. There are a number (7) of manufacturers listed there as being compatible to the Wixey. Yup, you guessed it - Shopsmith is not listed.

I have my doubts; I'll have to take a run over to Woodcraft and see for myself.

http://www.wixey.com/fence/owners/images/wr700.doc

If you plan to set up as a table saw and leave it there or hardly ever change; the wixey WR700 might be a useful addition to your "Shopsmith Table Saw". I would not recommend the investment for use on a "Shopsmith 5 in 1" due to the inherent interference with reconfiguration.

I have said it before - I don't see the value in the digital accuracy provided by these instruments for woodworking. No further comment.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Using google and adding the following in the search box:
Wixey Digital Fence site:www.shopsmith.net

I was able to find where this was discussed before:

www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=266

www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=722

I wanted to mention I have purchased the Jointech system for one of my shopsmiths. I wanted it for routing reasons and to reduce my router table count. It does have a nice fence system as well. I should also say that they are on sale for much less then I have ever seen them over the past few years that I've been watching them. The sale is on until the end of the month, and the prices are the same as the summer sale ones when I got mine except I got free shipping which I don't think they are now offering. ([url=http://www.jointech.com%29]www.jointech.com)[/url].

I'm working on a major preview but it is not ready yet due to the cold temperatures in my shop... and other business. It is likey that the preview will be posted at the ssug.org site and will start with the router parts of it.

If you want to talk more about that please start a new thread and I will answer what I can about the system for the 520. Sorry I don't know anything about the other systems except for a general idea how it works and about common parts they might share.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed
"Using google and adding the following in the search box:
Wixey Digital Fence site:www.shopsmith.net"

If you keep this up you going to teach us all how to search.

I thought I rembered this subject being discussed but I couldn't find it. Now I know how to. Thanks.
Ed
ldh
Gold Member

Wixey

Post by ldh »

I don't think the Wixey Digital Fence Gauge would be of much value with any of the SS fences that have been used over the years, but I must say the Wixey Angle Gauge has improved my ability to set and repeat a table angle and mitre angle on my Mark V 500 to the point that my woodworking life will never be the same. I find new uses for the gauge in my small shop every day. I would be intereste in knowing if others are using the Wixey?
ldh
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I use the Wixey Angle Gauge to check set-ups on my machines and for checking my squares. I bought it mainly to use when setting up my jointer because the stop for 90 degrees is broken and the part to fix it costs more than the Wixey did. I find new uses for the thing nearly every time I want to set an angle on something. I may even buy another one the next time they go on sale. It's a key part of the "bag of tricks" now.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

ldh wrote:I don't think the Wixey Digital Fence Gauge would be of much value with any of the SS fences that have been used over the years, but I must say the Wixey Angle Gauge has improved my ability to set and repeat a table angle and mitre angle on my Mark V 500 to the point that my woodworking life will never be the same. I find new uses for the gauge in my small shop every day. I would be intereste in knowing if others are using the Wixey?
ldh

Incidentaly Highland Hardware has the angle guage on sale for $29 now. I think either Rockler or Woodcraft do too (not sure). I do know if you order the Wixey fence from Woodcraft they include the angle guage for free.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I will have to say these little boxes are a good addition to the shop. I had read about them and thought "just another way to get my money". However after seeing them in use for some interesting ways of adjusting things the idea grew on me to the the point of buying one.

I didn't how ever buy the Wixey. I have nothing against their product but I found I like the Beall "Tilt Box" better.

So if you are thinking of getting one of these do some research, Wixey is not the only game in town and you might find you like the Beall better too.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Indicator

Post by dusty »

Is there any real difference between the Wixey Angle Indicator and the Beall Tilt Box?

The Beall tile box does have magnets on the sides, the Wixey does not. Other than that and the color, I don't see much difference.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote:Is there any real difference between the Wixey Angle Indicator and the Beall Tilt Box?

The Beall tile box does have magnets on the sides, the Wixey does not. Other than that and the color, I don't see much difference.
Hi,

Well to start with the whole concept inside is different. But if you look at that as a "black box" they do mostly the same thing and the tolerance is the same.

The Beall box used a 9V battery which I normally have around home for other things so I liked that idea rather the the smaller coin battery(ies).

The Beall box will work just like a level and actually give you the ability to use it that way as well as the relative off set from where you zero it at some thing other then level and measure the angle from that.

The Beall box can also be rezeroed by using the procedure in the book. I guess I just feel better about it because of that.

Ed