ss 510 tablebar and tubes #514344

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kd6vpe
Platinum Member

ss 510 tablebar and tubes #514344

Post by kd6vpe »

Folks,
I just bought a 510 upgrade for my 500 through another source used. Everything is fine except I beleive I am missing one part. The tubes were removed from the table bar for packing. There was one metal pin that holds the tube to the table bar. Should there have been two one for each tube? Second does anyone know the part number. I look at my exploded views and don't even see these pins. I will call SS on Thurs when they come back to work just asking to see if I need one more. Merry Chirstmas everyone and Happy New Year.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I see the part you are asking about on my system but the parts blowout doesn't show it nor is it listed in the parts description... or at least I don't see it either.

I personally have never had mine apart to that point so I really don't know what the part looks like. I assume you have looked in the packing materials and contacted the seller about this?

Anyway it looks like you might have to wait until you can talk to Shopsmith.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

The floating table and extension table tubes should each have two studs each. The main worktable tubes have three studs each. On the machines, I have had apart, the studs are welded to the tubes. There is a special spacer washer that goes between the tube and the table. The older tubes may have had a different attachment arrangement from the welded studs.

Good luck.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

There is a thread here on the topic, older tables had screws with hex heads that were very difficult to align. Later tops had studs (some may have been welded) along with screws and washers. The studs are by far the best approach, they are a standard hardware part as are the nuts and washers.

If I completely misunderstood your question a picture would help.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi guys,

Please check out the part number he gave... it is NOT the ones of which you speaking.

Look at ref. no. 163. Not shown are a pair of "pins" that look like they must hold the tubes in place.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Ed,
You are right that is what I am looking at. They are pressed in I had to use a hammer to put the only one I got in. I may have to go thru the box of peanuts to see if maybe if fell out during shipping. Or fabricate one It is just a steel pin. I will try to take a picture in the morning. Thanks all for the help.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Once you get that pin, if there is a vise or any other way to press in place, try that .You have already used up 50% of your luck. I would suggest perhaps putting the pin in the freezer overnight for your second effort. Just my $.02- I'm no SS expert, but I have pressed plenty of bearing races and pins.mt-Is this one of the pairs of pins in assembly 247?
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I found the pin in the bottom of the box under all the packing peanuts. Whew!! Used a hammer to get it in and I have a complete 510 now. Wow you guys where right what a difference from the 500.
Just tried to put an image up but not sure about the URL I don't think it wants C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop as the URL. I have some learning to do to post an image. But for now I wanna make some saw dust on the Christmas present. SHMBO is on the phone with her parents so I got alot of time to play.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I am sure that you were careful, but I avoid using hammers anywhere near my SS:eek: . A hard plastic mallet perhaps:D ?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.