New Guy Comments On the Old Style Jig/Scroll Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mtobey
Gold Member

New Guy Comments On the Old Style Jig/Scroll Saw

Post by mtobey »

I am at home alone today- had a fine holiday get-together yesterday. So, I decided to get going on the Jig saw. Mine is marked Magna and when the trademark cover is removed, there is no oil well. And, therefore, no plug. However, it had been shipped to me dry. So, 4 screws later and a gentle nudge from my palm and cover is off. Luckily, the gasket was in decent shape. So, I did as I used to do my old Triumph motorcycle engine cases- automotive silicone sealant( note, they didn't make that stuff when I got my first Brit), a bead on the cover, set the gasket in place, bead on that gasket surface-- and-- no, I did not forget to put the oil in. I used Mobil 10W spindle oil- it serves well with high loads and is non-detergent-slightly over half full. I removed all fasteners for the working mechanism, cleaned threads and reassembled using same oil. I had to make the small blade stop that is in the center of the guide. 1/8th welding rod with end rounded and polished. Broke a couple of blades getting the pre-load right.

After that, I was a very happy man. It runs like a sewing machine and handles metals and wood quite well. I did have a bit of an advantage because I have a 1950's Delta 24" Scroller that also has a crankcase. I fed it brass and hard maple-blade change of course.It is an excellent saw.

While this post may seem mundane to you folks, I wanted to express my continuing pleasure with my add-ons. So far, I cannot say they are compromises. Happy holidays, mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
ralphtaff
Gold Member

old style jigsaw

Post by ralphtaff »

Hi, I have one also, i am waiting till spring to try and use mine. Thanks for the information of the oil as this one has been stored. It probably needs a good cleaning and oil change before i try to use it.ralphtaff
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I too own the old jig saw. Except for the pock marked table due to spider dropping it look and works as good as new. I plan to buff out the top sometime as nothing seems to remove the spots... I spot buffed them and wax over what remains so it is functional but not so nice to look at.

Good point on non-detergent oil. I have that on my notes page in the manual from a class or correspondance or somewhere from back in the day when it was new.

As far as oil level the screw hidden under the cover is the correct level... having too much is as bad as not having enough.

I still see these coming up on ebay and while the conditions are unknown the prices look reasonable for the most part... They are however jig saws and do not operate like the scroll saws. For general use they do fine and have the advantage of being able to do saber saw functions and even filing if you can get the files. (I have tried but they always go for more then I'm willing to pay on ebay).

I use mine for doing pattern cutting for my routing operations mostly. When I first had it I got a book of hundreds of patterns and had a great time making up a bunch of them... looking around the house I still see a few out on display but most are gone... sold/broken/stored in some far off box???

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Hi Ed- why do you say the unit is a jig saw? I am just curious, not challenging your description.My old Delta is shown as a scrollsaw on the OldWoodworkingMachines website.Regards, Mike
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

mtobey wrote:Hi Ed- why do you say the unit is a jig saw? I am just curious, not challenging your description.My old Delta is shown as a scrollsaw on the OldWoodworkingMachines website.Regards, Mike
The title on the owners manual says "Shopsmith 18" Jigsaw model 610"

Here is some other background:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/jigsaw.htm

The Shopsmith Scrollsaw info:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/ ... awgray.htm

The current model info:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/ ... awteal.htm

Ed
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Thanks- both strokes powered seems to be the main operational difference. I do believe it is one fine accessory, jig or scroll.Regards,Mike
ralphtaff
Gold Member

jig saw

Post by ralphtaff »

Ed, do you still have some of the old patterns? would you be willing to share or make copies or i can make them and send the originals back. My email is ralphtaff@yahoo.com calmly awaiting your response,,,, no not really i just got all excited at the prospect of getting some thing that old. not so much as the old documents as the prospect of getting old patterns. all the new ones have been changed a bit. you know over time some one leaves something out or adds something to it. like the story as it goes around the table about ten time it is totally different. thanks in advance.:)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

ralphtaff wrote:Ed, do you still have some of the old patterns? would you be willing to share or make copies or i can make them and send the originals back. My email is ralphtaff@yahoo.com calmly awaiting your response,,,, no not really i just got all excited at the prospect of getting some thing that old. not so much as the old documents as the prospect of getting old patterns. all the new ones have been changed a bit. you know over time some one leaves something out or adds something to it. like the story as it goes around the table about ten time it is totally different. thanks in advance.:)
I do still have some of the patterns but they are all copyrighted... and full sized. I have one batch from 1951 and a second from 1955, I might have more in an old filing cabinet downstairs.... The biggest problem with them now is the thin paper they were printed on is giving out at the folds... to bad.

You might want to give ebay a check I bet someone sells these sort of things.

Ed
ralphtaff
Gold Member

jig patterns

Post by ralphtaff »

Thats OK Ed i probably will not check ebay. thought you could help. not a big deal, just a pipe dream of mine. have a good day and a better tomorrow.
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Jigsaw parts

Post by randythewoodchuck »

I too have this jigsaw. Are the sawblades, files only available through eBay type places? Shopsmith no longer offers parts? I've been unable to find anything on Shopsmith webpage except the manual.