New Guy Comments On the Old Style Jig/Scroll Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

Interesting topic, my brother just sent me an SS jigsaw that belonged to his father in law. He was widely mistaken and thought that the machine was only about 10 years old. Turns out it was built in 1983. I thought he was going to send me the scroll saw. I have had a few talks with him about shipping it to me and he kept saying that it was small and no problem to ship.

When it arrived today, I thought the box was only part of the machine. Then I realized it was the jigsaw instead. Did not come with any manuals so I know nothing about this thing but anxious to use it.

Now, my question is, (besides that I did not know that you need to oil it), do the scrollsaw blades fit the jigsaw? Which ones to order? No metal work, just woodworking.
solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

I have one: it will take any scrollsaw blade up to 5" long. They don't have to be SS brand. I would get about 3 sizes- fine, medium and coarse tooth. You can also mount sabre-saw blades in the lower chuck (a sabre saw is what is called a 'jigsaw' these days- the portable thing with the handle and trigger). The files I have no idea.

EDIT: make sure that you get 1-directional blades. Bidirectional blades will jam because the spring isn't strong enought to force the teeth through the work.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

I use Olson pinless- they are perfect. I have a good selection for wood and metals. I was able to buy some NOS files - they are a big plus when shaping metal and I tried out a "saber saw" blade and it clamped in quite securely.

It always bears repeating that I just continue to be pleasantly surprised by the versatility of an SS. I can only conclude that the naysayers are too lazy to plan or maybe they abuse and overload all of their powertools. Lucky for all of us that so many give up on the SS- = a great aftermarket opportunity for us.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
popstoyshop
Gold Member

Jig Saw Blades

Post by popstoyshop »

Hi Folks,

The finer scroll saw blades #5 and smaller don't seem to hold up to the SS jig saw. I have a DeWalt scroll saw & a SS jig saw. I use the jig saw for heaver work. I use 5 in. # 12 scroll saw blades & 1/8 in. band saw blades cut to 5 in.

Pop
One who works with his hands is a laborer.
One who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
One who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist.