weekly (New Year) Blog - December 30th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

weekly (New Year) Blog - December 30th

Post by john »

One more big event to go in this holiday week!

Christmas was great as usual. Our daughter came in from Niagara Falls with her family on the 21st and they leave on the 3rd, so it has been a busy and enjoyable week. Two of the children are still under ten so Santa is still important, but the other five grandchildren that were at Christmas dinner ranged form 16 - 22 so the conversation took some real interesting turns. For those of you who aren't there yet, BE PREPARED!

I received a couple of small tools and accessories from the big "S" and his helpers as well as a subscription renewal to the Canadian Home Workshop Magazine so I guess I will continue making sawdust in the coming year.

As the year end approaches, I took a last look at the WW balance sheet and confirmed that I really went into the hole this year. Upon closer look at the details of expenses, I found that the entire deficit was due to tool and equipment purchases so I guess I came out ahead after all. At least that's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it!

There's no point in making resolutions that I won't keep, but I do have some objectives. The first will be a major clean-up of my workshop and surrounding areas that are covered in dust from the last few months of woodworking. I also hope to reorganize my shop to make it more enjoyable to work in. At the moment it seems every time I reach for something, something else drops to the floor.

On the project side I'm hoping to do more complex or furniture type projects and at least one rocking horse. My grandchildren have also given me orders for "Harry Potter" wands and a bed for a "Barbie" doll. These to be made before they leave on the third.

There are still a few tools I would like so the Shopsmith, Rockler , and Lee Valley catalogues will get a workout as well.

I hope the forum will continue to be as good and interesting as it was this year, and that we will see more posts of the excellent work being done by the members.

With that said, I wish everyone and your families a Happy, Prosperous, and Healthy 2008!

Have fun and be safe.

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Tonight brings 2007 to a close and here we go - onward and upward into 2008. I'm really not too sad or excited to see the passage and the beginning. It's really just another mark in time. However it is a good holiday to view what went on in the past year and work and wish for better.

Resolutions? Well, I'll try to be not so curmudgeonly, and I will work toward turning out useful and beautiful wood projects. Maybe even do a little carving, as haven't done much in the last several years. Try to be helpful to those on the Forum that ask, and try to not be so verbose.

That said, I wish to thank John for his weekly initiation of the "Weekly Blog" I think it brings with it a feeling of companionship in the "Shopsmith world" and makes us feel we have more in common than just a machine. I've noticed we (many of us) have noted our interest in other's projects and also their tribulations. One wish I have for the new year is; more of us will participate in submitting posts to the "Weekly Blog" and to the Forum in general.

This week, got back from Christmas in AZ to leaking water pipe and screaming smoke alarms. Only took a phone call and 1/2 day for a plumber to fix the leak. (I helped dig the hole in the ground) The smoke detector/alarms were something else. After finding what I though was the cause. (One of the 5 alarms) Called the Mfr., confirmed my finding, and will receive a new one under warranty. Of course had to send them the bad one.

Bought four Banksia Pods while in AZ and turned a "Weed Vase" yesterday and another today. Will save the last two until I can think of another thing to do with them. Here's a snap shot of yesterday's.
[ATTACH]745[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Weed vase.jpg
Weed vase.jpg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
nuhobby
Platinum Member

More Thanks

Post by nuhobby »

John,
To reiterate what Chuck has said... thank you very much for the Blog tradition and the inspiration we've gotten from it.

Chuck,
You -- curmudgeonly? I don't think so! You are more like the "pep rally" guy on this forum.

Best Regards,
Chris
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

A helping hand

Post by kd6vpe »

I finally got to use my shopsmith to help out a neighbor out. He is remodeling his house with some beautiful ceder beams and used a paddle bit to counter sink the mounting bolts. Problem the holes came out odd size. He asked me if I could make some plugs the the holes. He knew I was new to all this but I as able to glue up some scrap and use the shopsmith and calipers to make some plugs. Boy is that a good feeling. Happy New Year everyone.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

That's a nice looking piece that Chuck "turned" out.

Not being a turner, I have always wondered how one can turn a piece with holes in it without getting the chisel jammed in and flying wildly all over. It must really take a delicate touch.

John
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

It is a cool looking vase Chuck:cool: .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.