5/8 arbor old style vs new

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't understand the need to trade the arbor. There are a lot of other 5/8" blades available on the market. But that is OKAY. There are a lot of things that I don't understand.

Methinks Paul's 'current' Shopsmith plywood blade has a 1 1/4" hole!;)

See #4
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]Methinks Paul's 'current' Shopsmith plywood blade has a 1 1/4" hole!]Yes, you may be right but I still don't understand. Arbors are one of those items that you can not have too many of. I'd buy a 5/8" arbor and keep the plywood blade and arbor. Then, the next time I want to cut up some junk plywood, I would not have to use a good blade.

Hey, I thought I was the frugal one!:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Yes, you may be right but I still don't understand. Arbors are one of those items that you can not have too many of. I'd buy a 5/8" arbor and keep the plywood blade and arbor. Then, the next time I want to cut up some junk plywood, I would not have to use a good blade.

Hey, I thought I was the frugal one!:rolleyes:
Me too!;):cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dusty wrote:I don't understand the need to trade the arbor. There are a lot of other 5/8" blades available on the market. But that is OKAY. There are a lot of things that I don't understand.

My Shopsmith plywood blade has a 1 1/4" hole and I have a 510/520 version 1 1/4" arbor, my new carbide plywood blade has a 5/8" arbor hole. I have one arbor for every blade.

A new arbor with shipping is $50, shipping of a blade and arbor is <$10 and someone gets a fair blade and excellent arbor.

If shipping were more reasonable I would just get a new arbor or if Shopsmith had a carbide plywood blade I would have purchased theirs.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

paulmcohen wrote:My Shopsmith plywood blade has a 1 1/4" hole and I have a 510/520 version 1 1/4" arbor, my new carbide plywood blade has a 5/8" arbor hole. I have one arbor for every blade.

A new arbor with shipping is $50, shipping of a blade and arbor is <$10 and someone gets a fair blade and excellent arbor.

If shipping were more reasonable I would just get a new arbor or if Shopsmith had a carbide plywood blade I would have purchased theirs.
You might want to check shipping again. The arbor would ship separately to Montana for 8.49 so the total is a shade over $40 and I don't presume Oregon would be that much more. I had other things that were on sale Small Lathe Chisels and jointer dust retro fit kit (I like the 15% off!) and so the shipping for all the items was less than $14. Maybe shipping has dropped since you last checked.

I don't know if ShopSmith will put arbors on sale, but if they do I'll probably buy a couple, because I really like Dusty's idea of having an arbor for each blade. At at least one on each of the 4 or so that I will use the most. After blowing my entire budget (plus some!!) on acquiring 3 ShopSmiths, until I clean up and sell two along with some of the extras that I got when buying the units, some of the things I would like to have will have to wait. I understand that I "could" have utilized an existing older arbor for non-ShopSmith blades, by fiddling with the quill feed, :( but I guess I am getting too old and adjust priorities to fit enjoyment. :D But then that's just me.

Just curious, have you made your offer on other ShopSmith user sites?
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

benush26 wrote: Just curious, have you made your offer on other ShopSmith user sites?

Only here I don't use other sites.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC