need help with headstock casting problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edward
Gold Member

need help with headstock casting problem

Post by edward »

I've searched for other threads about this. Didn't find any.

Here's my problem. Got a very good deal on a new brown/orange Shopsmith. Looks to be in good shape except for one thing that I need help with.

There are three holes in the headstock casting where the speed control asmbly attaches. The metal around the right-hand hole split, leaving half a hole.

Now, with no place to secure the third screw, the speed control assmbly rattles and dials down.

Do I have any hope of repairing this?
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

edward wrote:I've searched for other threads about this. Didn't find any.

Here's my problem. Got a very good deal on a new brown/orange Shopsmith. Looks to be in good shape except for one thing that I need help with.

There are three holes in the headstock casting where the speed control asmbly attaches. The metal around the right-hand hole split, leaving half a hole.

Now, with no place to secure the third screw, the speed control assmbly rattles and dials down.

Do I have any hope of repairing this?
YES, I have seen good results by using JB Weld with a nut and washer on the inside of the casing. I use a clamp to hold the nut and washer for 24 hours before using, I have seen JB Weld do an excellant job where there is no tension or vibration between the parts being bonded. I always keep the 2 tubes set of JB Weld for emergency repairs.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

My concern is that this area vibrates a lot. (The washer we're talking about is called a "shakeproof lock washer.") If you think it'll still work, great, I'll try it.
Violence is not violent enough. -- Zizek :confused:
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

I have a perfect brownie headstock casting that is yours for the taking. You pay for the shipping from Southern California Desert and it's yours.
Other than needing paint, it's perfect. I'm on the road right now but will be back in my shop on Thursday and can weigh it up and figure shipping costs.
You can reach me at 760-298-4512
Leave a message with your phone number if I don't answer.
I've got an hour 7.5 hour drive in front of me today to get home, so I maybe out of it when I get home.
Robert
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

Whoa - that's very generous. You'll be hearing from me today.
Violence is not violent enough. -- Zizek :confused:
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

Didja get that casting?
Man, I hope so. If not, let me know and I'll dig out the info and track it.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.