The Sharpening Guide and the Conical sanding disk.

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

The Sharpening Guide and the Conical sanding disk.

Post by ryanbp01 »

I was looking through my copy of "Power Tool Working For Everyone" at the sharpening chapter. Although I use the strip sander along with the chisel sharpening attachment to sharpen my lathe chisels most of the time, I would like to use my conical sanding disk as well since it already has the paper with the proper grit to sharpen jointer knives. Since the book does not address this topic using the set-up I just described my question has two parts: 1)does anyone out there know what the angle adjustments would be?, and 2) would simply siting the angle of the chisel to be sharpened against the conical disk be enough to determine the proper setting for the sharpening guide? The reason for my questions is to cut down the down time from sharpening to setting up the Shopsmith for turning. I plan to set up the conical disk on the upper auxiliary side of the headstock. Sorry for the length of this thread, but I have never been good at brevity.

BPR
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

ryanbp01,

I was in a similar situation having 150-grit on the conical and 80-grit on the flat disc. I ended up buying an extra flat-disk just for 150-grit sharpening.

If I understand your question properly, you are wanting to use the extension-table-mounted sharpening guide with the conical sanding disc. I guess for certain chisel shapes you might be able to do it. However lately I found that just a bit of off-level adjustment of the extension table had some significant influence on how my parting-tool and skew-chisel would sharpen with my flat disk, using that sharpening guide. The better my table was made perpendicular to the flat disk, the more accurate the sanded-facets on my tools. This could get pretty tricky with the 4 degrees of the conical disk. Still, I bet you could do whatever you set your mind to with enough planning and experimentation; there has yet to be a Shopsmith owner who has been permanently thwarted by a challenge. In my case I went for an extra disk.

Good luck,
Chris
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Absent evil abuse of the present blades, you can saw a kerf in a block of wood, set the jointer blade on the table and use either flat or conical.You need to feed into the downspin side of the disc. I don't feel like running downstairs right now, but the angle if I recall is around 35*- that would be the angle of the kerf in your block jig.

The beauty of the conical is the potential for closely controlling which part and how much of the abrasive touches the work piece.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The Sharpening Guide is designed to work with the standard disk NOT the conical one. While you might get it to work it just as likely that it is not worth the efforts.

While on the subject, the use of the worktable mounting is used for bench chisels and things like shaper cutters. Mounting on the extension table is for lathe tools. In each case you want to use a fine grit aluminum oxide. I too have gone the route of having several disks and keep one just for this task.

It should also be noted the guide can be mounted on the strip sander or even the belt sander if you happen to own those tools.

The conical disk along with the right attachment/holder to do planner knives, the grinding operation will take place at the vertical point of the disk and it will be at 90 degs to the tilted worktable... the grind will be inline with the knife/parallel to the table and all in one direction. This is a narrow zone that happens only at that point due to the angle of the disk and the angle of the table. (While this happens all along the way around the disk finding the right spot and having the tool in the zone and at the right angles is not something for everyone to do nor will it be easy to move in the correct relationship required. If you want to give it a try cut up some wood scrapes to chisel sizes and see what happens...)

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Reible,

Thanks for the heads up on this one. It answered my question.
BPR