Help in finding staples

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Help in finding staples

Post by db5 »

I have a staple gun that uses 1/4 (10mm) x 1/4 or 5/16 staples. The only ones I can find are 10mm x 3/8 which are too long. Any one know where I can find the shorter ones. The gun is a Swingline (no longer made and they don't make the staples either).
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

db5 wrote:I have a staple gun that uses 1/4 (10mm) x 1/4 or 5/16 staples. The only ones I can find are 10mm x 3/8 which are too long. Any one know where I can find the shorter ones. The gun is a Swingline (no longer made and they don't make the staples either).
Not certain if they carry what you are looking for, but Fastenal has had some staples I needed (stapling networking wire) that no one else could find.

If there is a store nearby I would go there in person. They needed to look in a catalog to find mine since they were not immediately found in the computer system. Had to buy 10,000 but when you need it you need it.

Hope that helps.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

db5 wrote:I have a staple gun that uses 1/4 (10mm) x 1/4 or 5/16 staples. The only ones I can find are 10mm x 3/8 which are too long. Any one know where I can find the shorter ones. The gun is a Swingline (no longer made and they don't make the staples either).
I had an old Swingline and found staples at a SEARS Hardware. this was in the last year or two. Not sure of the size I found but they did fit the gun. I think the staples were for a Craftsman gun (air ???) and labeled as such. Do a search on Sears web site and see if they offer what you need.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

I've had good luck at my local Ace Hardware finding odd sized staples. Ditto the Sears (my last resort) suggestion.
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

The shortest leg on those is 3/8 (which is what Home Depot, Lowes and Ace have. Too long for my stapler. I'll check Sears tomorrow. If I find some I'll buy a few boxes. I think those with 1/4 or 5/16 legs are not being produced.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Maybe I'm confused- 10 mm staple width is close to 3/8", not 1/4".

McMaster's staple group J, in 3/8" staple width, lists both 1/4" and 5/16" leg lengths.

Am I missing something?

Gary
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

greitz wrote:Maybe I'm confused- 10 mm staple width is close to 3/8", not 1/4".

McMaster's staple group J, in 3/8" staple width, lists both 1/4" and 5/16" leg lengths.

Am I missing something?

Gary
10mm or 1/4 width works. 3/8 on the width is too wide and on the length is just 1/16 too long. Went to sears and the width was off by 1 cm, just enough to jam the gun. So, unlike condoms, it seems that with staples, one size doesn't fit all.

The only size that will work is 1/4 width and 1/4 or 5/16 length. Tough to find.

Thanks for the help. I know one of you out there knows the answer.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, but why not just get a new staple gun? They are not that expensive. :confused:
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Any chance you have the number of the stapler?

I have a box of staples that are too narrow for my "standard" stapler, they say they are for a Swingline 10401 (plus a list of other staplers). Below is a shot of the difference.

[ATTACH]18283[/ATTACH]

The standard one looks to be about a 1/2" wide (outside to outside) and the smaller one looks more like 3/8" inside to inside.

None of the boxes I have talk about the width of the staple, only what model it fits and the length of the leg.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF3549sc.jpg
DSCF3549sc.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 3985 times