Woodsmith on PBS

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Woodsmith on PBS

Post by ryanbp01 »

If you haven't done so, check out your local PBS listings to see if they offer "Woodsmith". I saw the first show on my local station last Saturday and it was great! It airs locally at 8 a.m.

BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I also saw the show and I too agree it was good. It may make my can't miss list.
Ed
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Its not listed for my local 2 pbs stations. But I have watched several of there online videos and they are of high quality. I also have joined http://www.woodworkinginaction.com/store/subscribe
and like there videos a lot. They are high quality and cover a wide range of woodworking. Watching someone build quality furniture with hand tools or minimal amount tools is an art. :cool:
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

If your local PBS station is not carrying the show, contact them and ask that they do. When I emailed my station they replied that they already had plans to air the show. I checked their schedule today and see it will air on here on January 12th.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I don't know if it is available around here, but on a similar note, I watched a PBS promtional show yesterday called "Alone in the Wilderness" which had me facinated.

It was about a chap whose name I can't remember that went to Alaska with the intent of living alone for a year. He recorded his adventure on film, as he built a log cabin, outhouse, etc with only simple hand tools. What he did with only a saw, axe, chisels, draw plane, and hammer was truly amazing. He not only cut the trees for logs, but ripped them with a saw to make boards in pioneer fashion.

It sure made my attempts at woodworking with all my fancy tools look kinda puny in perspective. It also gave me a better appreciation of what our forefathers actually accomplished in settling this vast land.

Oh yeah, he stayed for thirty-five years and the cabin was declared a historical site. Some story!

As to the woodworking show, I will keep my eyes open for it. I haven't seen a good one since we lost Norm on local stations a couple of years ago.

John
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

John,

I've seen "Alone In The Wilderness" and read part of the companion book. That guy was truly amazing - I can't imagine having the guts to do what he did and his craftsmanship was something to behold. If I remember correctly, he stayed at the cabin until he was almost 90 before finally returning to "civilization" for the final few years of his life.

I highly recommend it for others who have not seen it.

As for the Woodsmith show, I have it recorded but I have not watched it yet.
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

John,
That would be Dick Proenneke. My wife and I have a picture of his cabin hanging on our wall which we took we hunting in that area many yrs ago.
Fascinating man to get to meet and talk to. The cabin is an absolute work of art.
Roger - now in central FL.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

alaskanexile wrote:John,
That would be Dick Proenneke. My wife and I have a picture of his cabin hanging on our wall which we took we hunting in that area many yrs ago.
Fascinating man to get to meet and talk to. The cabin is an absolute work of art.
Roger - now in central FL.

You are so lucky!

I loved that video and taped it off tv along with the second one and have watched them many times. For those who haven't seen it a short sample is at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfB6oJ55wM
The main site is at:
www.dickproenneke.com

Lots more if you care to look, just use google or your favorite search engine.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Woodsmith update

Post by ryanbp01 »

Just thought I'd give a little progress report:

My opinion: This is the best woodworking show that's on PBS right now (I think it's even better than "New Yankee Workshop"!). They really take the time to explain thing such as the different ways board feet are measured, something I never really knew. If you can get this on your PBS affiliated station, you won't be sorry!

BPR
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I agree that it's a good show, but my vote for top woodworking show has to go the "Woodturning Workshop". If you have any interest in turning at all, you've got to watch it.
Doug
Greenville, SC