Wixey Angle Gauge

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Gauge

Post by dusty »

Today, after moving the Shopsmith all over the shop looking for a new location, I decided to check the way tubes and the bench tubes for level.

I also checked the bench tubes with the Shopsmith in the drill press mode.

Guess what, they change somewhat between drill press and table saw configuration. I was actually quite surprised. Nothing to be alarmed about but they do change. My tubes change as much as .1 degrees just checking them at different locations along the tubes. My rear tube changes more than the front tube.

I momentarily thought about the lift assist. Does the lift assist change them at all. But I decided not to do that. Since it is all working I decided to leave it that way.

That all being said, I also learned that the Wixey is sensitive to front to back attitude as well as side to side.

With the Wixey magnetically attached to the way/bench tubes, you will get a reading (end to end). If you push the Wixey around the tubes just ever so slightly, the reading will change. In other words, the Wixey must be sitting directly on top of the tubes to give an accurate reading.

It is not quite as versatile as I thought is was. A bullseye level may be more versatile though not quite as accurate.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Stick with the Wixey

Post by flashbacpt »

Dusty,

Stick with the Wixey, and do not worry about .1 degree on the Way Tubes. Any concern should only be focused on the table to the blade, etc. It is this area that actually determines your final cut, final drill hole, etc.

For some fun...........take a level and place it on a surface that shows level, and leave it there. Now take the Wixey, Place it on the same surface, Zero it, and once Zero, place it on top of the level. Check out the reading.

If by chance it shows level (00.00), I would be surprised if it did, find a thin shim (piece of paper) and place it under the level.

Check out the readings on both the Level, and Wixey (still on top of the level).
The whole point is that a level can show level (between the lines) and not be "truly level". It also should show how minor the difference really is, and rest your concerns.

Good luck!

FlashbacPT:)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

flashbacpt wrote:Dusty,

Stick with the Wixey, and do not worry about .1 degree on the Way Tubes. Any concern should only be focused on the table to the blade, etc. It is this area that actually determines your final cut, final drill hole, etc.

For some fun...........take a level and place it on a surface that shows level, and leave it there. Now take the Wixey, Place it on the same surface, Zero it, and once Zero, place it on top of the level. Check out the reading.

If by chance it shows level (00.00), I would be surprised if it did, find a thin shim (piece of paper) and place it under the level.

Check out the readings on both the Level, and Wixey (still on top of the level).
The whole point is that a level can show level (between the lines) and not be "truly level". It also should show how minor the difference really is, and rest your concerns.

Good luck!

FlashbacPT:)
FlashbacPT
I think what your talking about is the difference in the cost range of levels.
A cheaper level will have plastic vials and colored water, as you move up in cost the liguid is changed into a something with little or nearly no surface tension and the vials become glass, ground/polished glass and even better curved with ground/polished curved vials and a low surface tension liquid being the best. However those levels tend to be very pricey. Usually more than the hobbiest is willing to invest in. There are liquid levels that react to the thickness of a human hair on a 4 ft span but I don't think many of us want or need one of those, most of all I think there are even fewer of us that could afford them.

From what I have heard on other forums the Beall angle gauge is probably better suited to some of the things Dusty is doing.

I just hope Dusty keeps experimenting because so far he has given me a ton of clues to follow in my quest to get the Aux table to work in both the left and right position. So I say Go! Dusty! Keep up your research.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Indicator

Post by dusty »

being used to confirm Shopsmith alignment.

I have returned my Shopsmith to a standard 520 configuration with two extension tables. My extension tables have been identified, for data collection purposes, as right extension and left extension.

The pictures will speak for themselves.

There were NO adjustments made prior to taking these photos other than main table height.

The Lift Assist is installed and shall remain so.

There will be two additional sets of pictures to tell the entire story.
Attachments
P1080021.JPG
P1080021.JPG (146.67 KiB) Viewed 18140 times
P1080023.JPG
P1080023.JPG (133.67 KiB) Viewed 18126 times
P1080028.JPG
P1080028.JPG (135.53 KiB) Viewed 18118 times
P1080030.JPG
P1080030.JPG (151.5 KiB) Viewed 18123 times
P1080025.JPG
P1080025.JPG (133.3 KiB) Viewed 18122 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Indicator

Post by dusty »

The second set of photos.

After these photos, I will take a few to show how changing tables effects alignment.
Attachments
P1080007.JPG
P1080007.JPG (155.17 KiB) Viewed 18104 times
P1080008.JPG
P1080008.JPG (153.55 KiB) Viewed 18099 times
P1080009.JPG
P1080009.JPG (156.34 KiB) Viewed 18093 times
P1080010.JPG
P1080010.JPG (138.04 KiB) Viewed 18098 times
P1080011.JPG
P1080011.JPG (138.7 KiB) Viewed 18098 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Gauge

Post by dusty »

The final photos will be delayed at least until tomorrow.

I have many additional photos but they are just more of the same.

My conclusions: The tubes are level to within .2 degrees and the tables are level. This Shopsmith is ready to make sawdust.

The one reading that should catch your eye is one .6 degree reading which is being taken with the Wixey on the way tube, right end, back side. This tube is attached to the lift assist. No conclusions to be drawn yet. I will later take a set of readings to determine if anything changes with the lift assist being used. I am not going to detach the lift assist. I see no point. I regularly go into vertical mode and back and have NO problems.
Attachments
P1080012.JPG
P1080012.JPG (145.94 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
P1080013.JPG
P1080013.JPG (124.1 KiB) Viewed 18085 times
P1080017.JPG
P1080017.JPG (134.88 KiB) Viewed 18083 times
P1080018.JPG
P1080018.JPG (126.77 KiB) Viewed 18081 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:The final photos will be delayed at least until tomorrow.

I have many additional photos but they are just more of the same.

My conclusions: The tubes are level to within .2 degrees and the tables are level. This Shopsmith is ready to make sawdust.

The one reading that should catch your eye is one .6 degree reading which is being taken with the Wixey on the way tube, right end, back side. This tube is attached to the lift assist. No conclusions to be drawn yet. I will later take a set of readings to determine if anything changes with the lift assist being used. I am not going to detach the lift assist. I see no point. I regularly go into vertical mode and back and have NO problems.
Dusty
My question to you is now that everything is set up can you or can you not swap the aux tables? If not, do you have any idea why not? If not can you use your wixley and see if the table goes off level or the legs less than vertical or exactly where the error comes from?

I know my aux table swapped perfectly when I had my original 500 setup. After I got the 510 upgrade I noticed my table bound as I tried to slide into the left side holder if everything else was perfectly aligned. If I loosened the table from the legs and then tighten them they slide up and down perfectly but when the table was moved to the right side the alignment was off. If I adjusted for perfect alignment and move the table back then the legs bound.

People on this forum and others have told me this is normal but frankly I don't buy it. It might be normal for most machines but from the stand point of design this seems to point to something wrong somewhere.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed;

I won't say that I am going to solve this mystery but I am certainly going to work on it, maybe drive it into the ground.

I understand what you are saying about the extensions going out of alignment when swapped and of them binding when being installed. Right now, this morning, I moved the extension tables from end to end and they did not bind. They did appear to be out of alignment but I did not dwell on that. I wanted to make the Wixey observations first.

I have returned the Shopsmith to a standard configuration so that there is no question of whether or not my extra main table and carriage cause this problem or any other that I might discover.

I also intend that the Shopsmith sit exactly where it is right now for duration of these observations. It is not perfectly level but it is very close. My garage floor drops about 1" over the 20' depth and I have not compensated for that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Dusty - as I don't understand your issue(s) I don't have any answers, but do have a Question.

Review of photo, #xxx80030.JPG from your post #4, shows the extension tables on the outside of their base. Is this a fact, or an optical trick? Your avatar shows the nearest extension table directly over its support tubes. Have you made a change in the positioning of the extension table base under the extension tables?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese, yes I taped the other set of holes and remounted the table. My wings are either both outward or both inward depending on which end the tables are on.

I just did that a couple weeks ago.

I had a cracked table. That table is now a floating table with unused studs.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty