Shopsmith back orders

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi lamalu,
lamalu wrote:Nick, I appreciate your response to this post. I bought my shopsmith used and found it was missing upper and lower saw guards. Everytime I walk by I feel sad and frustrated because I have this awesome machine that I'm afraid to use because the guards are on backorder. I suppose I could skip the table saw section of the tutorial and come back to it later but I'm too anal. I mean there has to be a reason the book is set up the way it is right? Would I be missing some crucial info if I skipped around in the instruction book?
As each function of the Mark V is an entity of its own, it is MHO that you will be fine if you skip the table saw part for now. :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
johnm
Gold Member

Post by johnm »

lamalu wrote:Nick, I appreciate your response to this post. I bought my shopsmith used and found it was missing upper and lower saw guards. Everytime I walk by I feel sad and frustrated because I have this awesome machine that I'm afraid to use because the guards are on backorder. I suppose I could skip the table saw section of the tutorial and come back to it later but I'm too anal. I mean there has to be a reason the book is set up the way it is right? Would I be missing some crucial info if I skipped around in the instruction book?
Join the club...I'm waiting on backordered upper and lower saw guards too! It's given me time to do some cleaning and tune-up, but I hope to see them soon. I almost thought of doing a 500 to 510 upgrade, but the cost is a bit steep. I checked with the factory yesterday and they're still waiting on parts from the manufacturer (who's having "trouble"). :-(
John Mallick
Dripping Springs, TX

Beginning Woodworker
Passable Barbecue'er
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Back Orders

Post by dusty »

The news is not always negative.

I have received shipping confirmation on my order, placed last week. The entire shipment is on the way - expect it to arrive tomorrow.

I'd much rather have a report that the parts are on backorder than to be told that "We no longer stock that part".:eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

From what Nick says, Shopsmith is now a smaller company however I am very impressed with all of their 'web' presence, from browsing items, ordering, and shipping info. Plus the tool tips, sawdust sessions, and everything else including this forum, that they have on the web. And I work for a pretty large software company in Redmond, WA so I've been around a little.

And the few times I needed to call the 800 number, the ladies there have done an incredible job helping me out.

You have a lot of good pieces in place - keep up the good work.

-Tim
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Backorders

Post by dusty »

I received my entire order yesterday, complete and in good condition. It was one day later than FedEx Tracking originally said I would receive it but I knew it was in transit.

Shopsmith put the order in transit 3 workdays after it was placed.

I'm already 20% into my 2008 shop budget. It is time to start convincing someone she wants something that I can't be build unless I add additional equipment to the shop (unbudgeted funds authorization).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

The fine folks in customer service make waiting bearable. In many situations where this is happening, other companies start cutting into staff. I hope ShopSmith's good judgment does not erode on this action. It is such a pleasure to talk with the ladies and gents who pick up the phones- that alone keeps me eager to do my best to keep SS going- but it is supplemented by my continued joy in using a sturdy piece of old American "arn."( ok- aluminum, but thick well cast and machined al). I keep trying to get the big dollar powertools guys to understand that there is little compromise in results from a properly set-up and used SS. I am really stubborn, so I do not intend to quit praising.

If I did not have this SS, I would be unable to work during the winter months. And, the tilting table and clever accessories deliver some things that conventional standalone tools cannot. The precision is always there, as well.

I have been a big fan of Incra miters, fences and their unique marking tools. Incra is synonomous with precision- and their products harmonize with SS to deliver cutting and shaping measurable in thousandths- .002 to .004 at worst in most cases and usually not at the "worst" level.

Last night, with Ed's help(encouragement too) I installed a Miter Express. Other than the drawfiling of the one bar that I mentioned, all went absolutely perfectly- the drawfiling did too, with minimum fuss and bother.

It is a testament to SS that such modern accessories can be routinely fitted and used with confidence. Now, I spent an extra $100 to have perfection, Incra's CS got me their SS miter bar and gauge mount for the ME. I'll likely buy or make the panels and use the industry "standard" utility bar on my table saw, which I might well sell, my bandsaw too. I bought a SS Bandsaw with the CI table(on purpose) and I do not fear drilling and tapping to transfer my Kreg BS fence and resaw jigs to that CI SS.

I have written so much here because I am comitted, as are many others here, to keeping SS viable. I am willing to accept the limitations of the machine, which to me are insufficient rpm for genuine routing, and smallish tables(even with 520 upgrade) for the TS. I can breakdown my big flat stock with my circular saw and guide from Lee Valley- after that it is clear sailing on nothing more than the SS. And if I turnaround 180* there are three router table set-ups ready to fill that gap. SO, SS, if you keep caring about us, we will support you too.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
jbemis
Silver Member

back orders and unavailable parts

Post by jbemis »

dusty wrote:The news is not always negative.

I have received shipping confirmation on my order, placed last week. The entire shipment is on the way - expect it to arrive tomorrow.

I'd much rather have a report that the parts are on backorder than to be told that "We no longer stock that part".:eek:

I feel for you guts.

I have the problem of rebuilding the entire table, I only have the table surface so I sure need the REAR TRUNION that is NOY AVAILABLE to rebuild from the table surface down to the slides. That includes the upper and lower saw guards that are back ordered.

I have a machinist friend who is making a REAR TRUNION for me from aluminum or mild steel. He won't touch the guards because it is a safety item.

The only function that does work is the lathe. So I can make chips!

But it is still too cold to work out in the garage.
old hardware, new user
SS3218, just rebuilding the table
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

jbemis wrote:.....
I have a machinist friend who is making a REAR TRUNION for me from aluminum or mild steel. He won't touch the guards because it is a safety item.....
Hope your machinist is not very expensive! I Took a look at any differences I could see between the rear and the front trunion. Couldn't find any! The are identical, except the front trunion has the stop pin, spring and associated washer and clip. So you could order a front trunion - and use it on the rear. You'll have a couple of extra parts which you can either leave on or take off.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA