Drill Press Vise for a Mark V model 500

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marcp1956
Gold Member

Drill Press Vise for a Mark V model 500

Post by marcp1956 »

Any suggestions for drill press vise for a Mark V model 500?
Shalom, Marc

Mark V #555510
10ER #R-63814
(Learning all I can right now.)
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Marc I bought one of the models from Grizzly. They are available in a number of sizes.
Grizzly Drill Press Vise

Shopsmith sells a very nice one...

Shopsmith Drill Press Vise

Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

From shopsmith and and a sales rep, the shopsmith model with not work with a model 500 table??? I will look into the Grizzly models. Thanks.
Shalom, Marc

Mark V #555510
10ER #R-63814
(Learning all I can right now.)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

marcp1956 wrote:From shopsmith and and a sales rep, the shopsmith model with not work with a model 500 table??? I will look into the Grizzly models. Thanks.

I don't have a 500 but would you (or someone) explain why it will not work.

There is no t-track so a different method of hold down would be required but that doesn't mean it won't work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Shopsmith uses it's version of T-nuts to "clamp" the vise in place on the 505/510/520 tables. Because there is no slot in the model 500 table, you need something like what you get with the Rockler Miter Slot Hardware Kit (item # 26993). While these are designed for a 3/4" wide miter slot, they are of a relatively soft alloy and you can easily sand or file them to fit the narrower Shopsmith miter slot.

I sanded one of these on the belts sander in a couple of minutes and am sorry I didn't buy a couple of sets when I was at the Rockler store recently. They are $7.99 a pair. See -- http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER

These have all kinds of possibilities for securing jigs to any Shopsmith table, although you might need longer stove bolts for some applications.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

I have the 500 and have posted pics of my xy cross slide vise mounted. That said i did swap out the aluminum table for a cast iron one. This allows far more rigidity. The slots for the 500 can take an expanding clamp. This is just like the screw clamp on the miter gauge bar. I through drilled and tapped my table for mounting the vise at various points. For the alum table you could drill and bolt the same way. I would strongly recommend the xy travel if you are to choose one version. Ps...that grizzly version is horribly made. It will drive you nuts. As you tighten the jaw will rise off the ways of the vise, trivial to some but really is a pain for any product other than wood. A fix involves lengthening the keeper under the vise that holds the jaw down. Same for any Chinese vise.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

marcp1956 wrote:From shopsmith and and a sales rep, the shopsmith model with not work with a model 500 table??? I will look into the Grizzly models. Thanks.
I had the vice way before I upgraded so I know it works on the 500. In fact so does shopsmith, the PTWFE had pictures showing it in operation on a 500.

Go to:

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/drillpress/index.htm

Then see figures 7-57, 7-58, and 7-61.

I have a plywood base that works well too, the vice bolts to that and then you can use various clamps on the plywood to hold things in place. If you or someone else wants more details let me know I can dig up some pictures or take new ones...

The shopsmith vice absolutely works with the 500.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I just went to the vice page and YES they now say:

Note: For Mark 7 and Mark V Models 505, 510 and 520 only.

I also see that they now provide a couple of sliding t-nuts.

Unless they did some other changes the worst case is you have a couple of extra parts to throw in a box somewhere.

I personally think the ad is in error, perhaps a note that says the t-nuts only work on these models etc. Or maybe it just easier to send customers off to another place to buy a vice.

Ed
rmojo
Gold Member

Post by rmojo »

If any of the shop smith family turns pens and use a Grizzly vice, what size should I get for drilling blanks?
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

A large vise can hold smaller pieces but a too small vise can't hold larger pieces. A too small vise will show its shortcomings quickly. I have a 4" Sears (older) and a 2" Palmgren (even older) and I use the 4" for pen blanks.
Bill V