DC3300 inlet seal

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eldyfig
Gold Member

DC3300 inlet seal

Post by eldyfig »

Another question:

Replaced the dc seals today. Why doesn't the inlet seal completely seal off the inlet? Also, the support bracket appears to have a notch on each side.

Please tell me that I installed my seal correctly and the gap between the inlet and the housing and the two notches are some sort of recirc setup just in case suction gets isolated somehow.

Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

To the best of my knowledge mine is like that as well. But I'm not taking the bag off to check!

But mine has not been that clean since it was in it's shipping box 15+ years ago! :eek:
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Had to clean it in order to put on new seals. Found what I learned was a seal, in the bag one day while cutting some wood. Oh, it was much dirtier. Not a fun job cleaning. Father bought dc in 91, so seals were pretty much deteriorated.

Tony
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

A while back, I had to replace a broken fan blade:( From what I remember about the seals - they were all made from a foam rubber like material, much like window insulation seals. Noticed they were all in varying stages of compression and exposed dirty foam stuff. Had to remove (separate) the fan housing and the motor seal. The best I could do was to re-assemble using the original seals. Seems to have worked. Didn't notice any gaps in the fron seal.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

What happens when you completely seal off suction on the dc3300? Unlike a shop vac, which will collapse the hose and pull the shop vac to the blockage, the dc does not. Could this be the reason for ports around the inlet seal?

Just called SS. Those notches in the support bracket for the inlet are there to allow room for the screws that hold the three way inlet on. The DC that they have in the tech department...the inlet seal actually goes pass the edge on the inlet of the fan housing to cover up the gap at the front. All it appears to be is foam tape. Don't know what prevents the edges from getting sucked in.