Saying Hello from England

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Hi Al,
Always nice to read a new voice. From your title my first thought was, "do you have to stand on the other side of the SS to operate it">:D
Anyway, Hi.
Gary
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

Hi Gary,

No, probably the same side as your East Coast buddies, now if I was in Australia then I'd be standing on my head!

Chris
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

chrism wrote:Hi All,

Put it all back together today - you can see the quality of engineering, never had hands on with one before one thing that surprised me was just how heavy it is! and how easily it moves on the castors. Got it cleaned, waxed and oiled, runs very sweetly. Checked the saw table alignment - no adjustments required only tightened up the fence outfeed clamp.

One "problem" I hope one (or more) of you guys can help with.... how do you bevel rip with the saw guard in position. When I tried I found that the table fouls the bottom guard and so won't go down leaving only 1/4" of blade above the table.

I've taken a photo which is taken from the underside of the table showing the triangular shaped casting touching the lower guard. I know I must be doing something wrong as the various books / manuals show the guard in place!

Chris

PS Thanks SDSSmith for the UK link, my searches didn't throw that one up - I've joined.
I am wondering if you have the wide rubber ring (item 189 in this diagram) in place on the rear way tube between the headstock and carriage. That maintains the minimum spacing between the headstock (and saw guard) and carriage (and table). That said, generally when you bevel cut you extend the quill to keep the blade centered in the table insert. If you do not have the ring you may be moving the carriage toward the headstock to keep the blade centered and causing interference between the guard and the table support. Just a thought.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

Hi Rob,

Not sure about the ring, I don't think I have one, I'll check tomorrow. I know about moving the quill forward to allow the table to tilt, it's fine with no guard and would probably work without the dust extractor section of the guard which is what is fouling the table casting.
I got it aligned no problem for a 90 degree cut so I don't think that the rubber ring would make any difference - I'll study the manual again tonight.

Chris
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

Hi Rob,

I did have the rubber ring, it was in the box of bits and pieces I got with the machine, I thought it was a dust extraction adapter :confused: !

I had another good look at the lower saw guard and have now adjusted it properly, by moving the dust extraction part in towards the saw blade simple!!

In my defense I did say I knew I was doing something wrong!! :)

Thanks again,

Chris
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

chrism wrote: In my defense I did say I knew I was doing something wrong!! :)

Chris

Really no need for a defense! I think we all fall into the category of messing something up.

It is the fix that counts!

Happy to have you on board! Best Wishes!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

charlese wrote:Really no need for a defense! I think we all fall into the category of messing something up.

It is the fix that counts!

Happy to have you on board! Best Wishes!
Thanks for your kind words - I'm sure there will be lots more messing up in the coming months!!:)

Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chrism wrote:Thanks for your kind words - I'm sure there will be lots more messing up in the coming months!!:)

Chris
That "messing up" to which you refer is the learning process in action. Without that, we would all still be stark beginners. My frustration is that based on this criteria, I should now be a renowned professional and I am not.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:That "messing up" to which you refer is the learning process in action. Without that, we would all still be stark beginners. My frustration is that based on this criteria, I should now be a renowned professional and I am not.

Sadly as age accumulates, memory diminishes!(or so I have been told:D)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: Saying Hello from England

Post by HopefulSSer »

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 9.33.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 9.33.19 PM.png (254.38 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466