Stp

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Stp

Post by reible »

I've seen a lot of post about lubrication of late. This don't seem to fit in any of those so I'm posting it here.

Of couse when I say STP I'm talking the oil additive. Some of you might well remember the sumo wrestler trying to pick up the screw driver coated in that stuff... loved that...

Anyway now on to the point of the post. Several years ago, 3 or 4 I think but maybe longer I puchased a device called a Router Raizer. I think they still make these so if you don't know what it is you can search on it. Anyway they called for the use of STP oil treatment on the posts of the plunge router you were converting. I wasn't so sure I wanted to do that as the router I have despite rubber boots on the posts mangages to compact enough sawdust over a season that it was requiring me to take it apart and clean it 4 times a year.

But, they said to use it so I did. Before this I would have to take the router apart and tooth brush the sawdust off and out and it would be caked on. When it was clean I would do as I have done for year, that is wax it and buff it off. This time I cleaned it and put the STP on... a very light film of it. Wow the router moved up and down very smoothly... good start I thought but still we all know that oil and sawdust don't mix.

The supprise was that I was able to use it all season and never had to do the other clean outs. When the season was over I took it apart and the sawdust just wiped off with a soft rag... NO where like before. Again put on light film and made the second year on that one service... and it has been that way each time.

I have been thinking about trying this on one of my shopsmiths, the I got used. Maybe on the quadrant assembly this year to see how if fairs in that application. If it is anything like the router use I'd be happy.

Just some food for thought.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Good Thread Ed! - I've been an STP fan for a while now - about 25 to 20 years. Hadn't thought about using it in my Mark V before. I'm going to try it on the worm and rack. I'm talking about the STP oil rather than the oil additive.

My wife, runs several embroidery machines. She bought one a year or so ago and just couldn't get the bobbin to run free, until she put a drop of STP oil on her finger and smeared her finger tip around the bobbin race. The machine has hummed along perfectly ever since.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

I am a fan of STP and the Router Raizer. On my SS OPR I have a big Freud FT2200 mounted below. I put the RR on it. The Freud is one of the more complicated installations, but is still quite easy. The accessory is an excellent product- great CS. I wanted some extra cranks- the vendor is a very nice fellow who takes the time to make sure you get good results from the product. When I was racing dirt-track Sprint cars, we would wipe down the frame with STP to ease knocking off the "Mud" from heat races when the track was still "heavy."mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Stp

Post by dusty »

Will one can of STP be enough to wipe down a Shopsmith and a shop full of SPT?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Dusty - If you do this entire wipe down - you probably will have to change you name!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Stp

Post by dusty »

In that case, I'll put the STP in the old truck.;)

The SPT will remain as they are.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.