Tool sharpening

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Tool sharpening

Post by sswoodworker48 »

Does anyone own the Worksharp 3000 sharpener? I read really good things about it online. My local Woodcraft has finally tried it and they thought it was pretty good. I'm wavering between the the Worksharp and the SS chisel sharpening attachment. The SS is on sale and free shipping through tomorrow, so I need to decide. Watched Nick's Sawdust Session on the attachment and it looks good, too. SS would be the less expensive route to go as I already have a strip sander. Comments anyone?
Rick
---------------------------
Shopsmith owner since 1982
510, 520, belt sander, strip sander, jointer, scroll saw, band saw, dust collector, OPR, Flatmaster sander.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Would like to help, but I know nothing about the Worksharp other than what I've read. I do know the SS guide works very well. Have had one for years, and am happy with it.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fixit
Gold Member

Tool Sharpening

Post by fixit »

sswoodworker48,

I have a Worksharp 3000 and have been very impressed. The only complaint I have so far is that the basic package does NOT include all the glass wheels and see-thru wheels that you will want if you buy it. In order to have enough wheels to mount all the grits you will have to buy more wheels. (This is like the SS sanding disks - you will find after you use one for a while that you REALLY want more than one disk! It makes changing grits quickly possible.) You do get two glass wheels so you can go thru the grits if sharpening on the top of the wheels. However, it only comes with one (if I remember correctly) slotted wheel. So sharpening lathe chisels on the bottom of the wheels requires more than one disk.

I like the fact that you can sharpen chisels to a VERY sharp state with the Worksharp. My chisels have a mirror finish on the bevels now and they stay sharp longer. In addition, you don't have to worry about burning the tools with this sharpener because the wheels turn at such a slow speed.

If you have a cash flow problem (and since you already have the strip sander) I'd recommend buying the SS sharpening jig first. I lived with that setup for several years and was happy with it until I saw what the Worksharp could do.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.