New scrollsaw?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

al_killian
Gold Member

New scrollsaw?

Post by al_killian »

I am in ned of a new scrollsaw and was considering the one from ss. Anyone have comaints on it?
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

My wife likes my Shopsmith Mark V powered, but for that price, check out the Excalibur 21 if you are going to do serious intarsia or other precision work.

Doc
al_killian
Gold Member

Post by al_killian »

chiroindixon wrote:My wife likes my Shopsmith Mark V powered, but for that price, check out the Excalibur 21 if you are going to do serious intarsia or other precision work.

Doc

That would be nice but at $800, it is beyond what I am willing to pay for a scroll saw. I want to stay around $500 max. I would perffer to get one around$200, but all in that price are not worth it.:(
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Again this year, Shopsmith is having their "get three for two" sale. It is actually on now. Last year I purchased two power stations (one for Gainesville and one for the U.P.) and the scroll saw. The scroll saw can be used on the MK5 or the power station.

If you are in need of any other SPT's besides the scroll saw, three for two is a good deal.
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

Believe RBI makes a good scroll saw. New, very spendy. But there are always a few on eBay.
Roger in Orlando
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I have used several scroll saws. Sears cheapo $125, delta $200, delta p3 $500, and what I use now the dewalt $400 with stand and light. I have been scrollsawing for at least 15 years and the dewalt is made by the same manufactures of the excalibur. It is a great saw. I looked at the hawk and almost bought one but the fact that I could buy two dewalts for the same price kept me from purchasing it. I know a lot of scrollers and the serious ones use dewalt, hawk, elcipse, hegner and excalibur sorry shopsmith is not on the list. Check out http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/tools- ... s/6508.htm
One thing to look for is the ease of taking the blade off and top feeding for piersing cuts (inside cuts).
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Look at available floor space, I am trying to find a new home for my Velocipede # 2 reproduction because I just don't have room for it in my shop anymore. If you like to exercise and scroll saw at the same time then buy one it's a lot of fun.

I have used the SS and the Hawk, both good saws. The DeWalt is highly rated but I have heard of people having problems with them and that they are no longer made in Canada.
Jim in Tucson
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I've used the Hawk for about 10 years. I love it. It is a stable power tool, no appreciable drift in the blade, easy and quick blade change, and quiet. Down side is it is heavy, and not really portable, although it has two wheels for movement about the shop. I haven't had experience with others, but as with most woodworking tools, the less professional the tool the more work you make for yourself. I enjoy intrasia. Accuracy is extremely important, and it requires long sessions, so comfort using the tool is important. Just my opinion, and I am sure there are many other fine machines out there.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

I agree with Gary. They may be pricey but the better machines make often for better work. Check out http://www.mikesworkshop.com to see a fanatical scroller.

Scrolling is the only woodworking my wife liked to do. She has carpal tunnel problems so I am attentive to what she could really use now. I had bought my Mark V scroll saw prior to meeting my wife.

The Excalibur 21 is more portable, but the best feature is the saw arm moves and the table remains flat. The advantages are obvious. I have an old wooden office desk I would love to set an Excalibur into. Result would be large surface that she could sit at like a commercial sewing table.

But....I need that Lotto ticket. Until then my Shopsmith version will have to do.

Doc
popstoyshop
Gold Member

DeWalt Saw

Post by popstoyshop »

`The DeWalt saw is about the best deal in scrolldum.
I sell tools & have been a SS user for fifty years. The SS scrollsaw offers nothing any other run of the mill saw offers.
I STILL think SS droped their candy when they stopped making the jig saw. I have one and have had ity for years. It's a great tool tough as nails and well designed.
One who works with his hands is a laborer.
One who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
One who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist.