Storage Ideas for Shopsmith Parts

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgale
Platinum Member

Storage Ideas for Shopsmith Parts

Post by dgale »

I'm looking for ideas on toolboxes or other storage ideas for all the various Shopsmith parts...things like the various extra arbors, mortise bits and hold down, jigsaw bits (in plastic tubes they came in), router and shaper bits, lathe centers and arbors and all the other odds and ends that I presently have stuffed in a cardboard box. Ideally something I can keep things sorted and organized and store on top of a counter or on a shelf. I had looked at the typical plastic organizers with a bunch of little drawers at the hardware store, but none of them at our hardware store have drawers big enough to hold the mortise bits, jigsaw blades, and other large items, and I'm leery of the longevity of those things. I also thought about a Craftsman tool box - the rollaway type but they are a bit expensive and take up valuable floor space. I may go that route anyway as I can certainly make use of all the space for other stuff as well, but thought I'd check on what others are using to organize and store all this stuff. Thanks for any input folks can offer.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I purchased a two tool chest combo from Grizzly when they were considerably discounted. 6 drawers above, 10 below. It has been a good investment and protects and stores a great deal of my Shopsmith, and other, stuff. I put small dessicant packs into the drawers for additional rust protection. It was a few hundred dollars, but I feel it was worth it. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Check this out. Everything from a 30" 11 drawer tool chest for $200 to a 26" 16 drawer for $360.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

You can probably find these in used furniture/office equipment stores in California (but not elsewhere unless you are in a metropolitan area). Steel cabinets, 5 ft. tall, about 2 ft wide and 24 inches deep with multiple drawers. Used for storing 8x10 file cards (8 inches high, 10 wide). Two drawers side by side and bunch of them. Ideal for all sorts of small tools. Better than most tool boxes.
e.friedl
Gold Member

tool storage

Post by e.friedl »

What about making a tool chest? I have my uncle's chest he used as a tool & die maker. It was in terrible shape when I got it and I had to make some replacement drawers. But it is ready for another fifty years. Most machinists treasure their Gerstener wood tool boxes. Why would a wood worker pass up the chance to make their own treasure?
Ed
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

Here's an idea... unfortunately I did not take a pic with the drawers open... but I would be happy to if you like.

Thanks,
Geo

under ss storage by EagleTa2, on Flickr
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Wow, all kinds of ideas to ponder - thanks! I thought about making some storage to hang or sit under the way tubes - it looks like yours is free standing under your SS? Does it have casters as well so you can roll it out of the way when you need to move your SS?

I also have thought about the rollaway toolboxes from Sears or elsewhere - I don't really have the shop space but given how organized they would make me, it's worth pondering if I can make the room. We have a Harbor Freight store near my work, so I'll swing by and see what they have - that place is pretty hit or miss on quality but worth checking as $200 would be a steal if it's reasonably durable.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I really like the rolling tool tower concept. I know a couple of guys here have built some really nice ones with a lot of custom mounting etc.
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-13/webletter114.html#shoptalk

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

robinson46176 wrote:I really like the rolling tool tower concept. I know a couple of guys here have built some really nice ones with a lot of custom mounting etc.
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-13/webletter114.html#shoptalk

That's an interesting idea - I hadn't seen one of those before. This brings up another discussion - how folks are storing their larger accessories when not in use - i.e. belt sander, band saw, jig saw, jointer, strip sander etc. Seems like this tower is a possible option for storing some of this. I've also thought of a wall-mounted rack for some of the bigger items...a few a pretty heavy so it needs to be built accordingly. Anyway, I'd love to see what others are doing to store these items.
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

eagleta2 wrote:Here's an idea... unfortunately I did not take a pic with the drawers open... but I would be happy to if you like.

Thanks,
Geo

under ss storage by EagleTa2, on Flickr
Tks for this Picture Geo... If I remember right you showed this in a thread a while back... actual color became a topic for some... I think this is the best solution for storing and keeping clean the various SS "stuff"...
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.