OPR report (new 01/14/08)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

OPR report (new 01/14/08)

Post by charlese »

Thought it necessary to report on the recent set-up of my OPR. A while back I had reported the learning curve (at least for me) was very shallow and long. Geez! I might have reached the pinnacle!:D Have to be a little careful here, as I've been known to revert.

This time the machine was set up to do some actual pin routing. From scratch with the mounting arm in a cabinet, the router in a bench, the table stored. The set up took only a few minutes (maybe about 10). After that setup, I used the sample play blocks, given to me by daughter-in -law as the template and a 3/4" piece of MDF as the new blocks, with a piece of particle board as the center piece. (sorry about the terminology!)

The MDF blocks will be used as the templates for the new blocks. Didn't want to continue to use the samples because they belong to another teacher and were loaned to my Daughter-in-law.

The new templates are now receiving several coats of urethane finish in hopes they will retain their edges long enough to finish the project. The shapes are simple enough so I jumped at the chance to make more with my first OPR project. Note the small irregularity on the nearest piece.:( (whoops!)(filled and sanded):)

I will be receiving 13 bf of maple for the new blocks. Here's the templates. I will be making more shapes than the ones shown.

[ATTACH]808[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Block Templates.jpg
Block Templates.jpg (116.45 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hi Chuck,

Now we all know you were given those blocks in the picture! You didn't make them - it's obvious!!!! There is NO SAWDUST in the picture - proving you just showed us the ones which were given to you. Nice try.:D :D

Seriously, I'm happy to learn that the OPR is that easy to set up and use. I've put one on my 2008 wish list. Now all I have to do is hope some elf sees the list and makes it happen.:)

Regards,
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.